Old 07-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #21
edt

NM

edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

I find it interesting that those that don't have or have never used the awning poles are so learned in what they will or will not do in weather. I guess our 2-3 yrs experience using them is for naught.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:22 PM   #23
Site Team

I’ve debated back and forth about the tie downs. I don’t have them and left my awning out for an entire week straight with no problems.

The auto-dump has saved me from myself a few times but I’ve discovered that locking both ends down with one end tilted down it doesn’t move very much. The way my trailer is situated it blocks most of the wind.

I still use common sense and roll it up if needed, which has happened once or twice.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #24
7 Year Class A RV'er

TURBS: Agree completely. My buddy wishes his was only that much. I think he told me the final bill was almost $15K! Thank goodness the insurance took care of it. The TT was only about a year old. I've heard (no confirmation) of companies denying awning claims by saying it was an aftermarket installation!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #25
Old Ram Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I find it interesting that those that don't have or have never used the awning poles are so learned in what they will or will not do in weather. I guess our 2-3 yrs experience using them is for naught.
I agree, and until someone can show me those awnings work better without the poles and brackets, I'm sticking with what works! I've seen what happens without them and it ain't pretty watching some guy cussing and stomping while he's picking up the pieces of his awning. However, I understand if someone would rather just bring the awning in every time the wind kicks up or it starts to rain; at least they are taking care of the expensive awning and their investment. Me, I'd rather stake 'er down and not have to worry about it.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger61 View Post
I agree, and until someone can show me those awnings work better without the poles and brackets, I'm sticking with what works! I've seen what happens without them and it ain't pretty watching some guy cussing and stomping while he's picking up the pieces of his awning. However, I understand if someone would rather just bring the awning in every time the wind kicks up or it starts to rain; at least they are taking care of the expensive awning and their investment. Me, I'd rather stake 'er down and not have to worry about it.
X eleventy!
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Nites Camped 2016 -25
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #27

Old Coot, How do your awning poles work? Thanks Cyndi
Old 07-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLewis View Post
Old Coot, How do your awning poles work? Thanks Cyndi
I don't make but a very limited number of poles in Mar/Apr, TURBS makes the poles, I make the attaching hardware to attach the poles to the awning. Once they are mounted, you don't have to remove them, they stow with the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning tie downs completely set up.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	82292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stow bracket.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	82294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Tie Downs anchored.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	82295   Click image for larger version

Name:	GasPeddler Awning.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	82296  
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #29

awning poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I am brand new to this forum and I saw this post and had to jump in. I have a 2014 Dynaquest 340XL motorhome with an electric awning. These are terrible. We were in Florida and it started to rain, the awning did not do its thing and close and the rain and a strong down wind bent the arms on the awning. I was able to get it in but that was it for the trip. I thought about designing a strap system for these useless awnings and then I came across your post. Will these work on motorhome awnings? I would love to have support and tie downs for this awning. Heck I can't afford to replace this thing everytime we use it! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogzilla View Post
I am brand new to this forum and I saw this post and had to jump in. I have a 2014 Dynaquest 340XL motorhome with an electric awning. These are terrible. We were in Florida and it started to rain, the awning did not do its thing and close and the rain and a strong down wind bent the arms on the awning. I was able to get it in but that was it for the trip. I thought about designing a strap system for these useless awnings and then I came across your post. Will these work on motorhome awnings? I would love to have support and tie downs for this awning. Heck I can't afford to replace this thing everytime we use it! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
If you can post a picture of your awning end with the motor or torsion end, we should be able to tell you.

Tags
awning, electric