Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #21
edt

NM
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

I find it interesting that those that don't have or have never used the awning poles are so learned in what they will or will not do in weather. I guess our 2-3 yrs experience using them is for naught.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #23
Site Team

I’ve debated back and forth about the tie downs. I don’t have them and left my awning out for an entire week straight with no problems.

The auto-dump has saved me from myself a few times but I’ve discovered that locking both ends down with one end tilted down it doesn’t move very much. The way my trailer is situated it blocks most of the wind.

I still use common sense and roll it up if needed, which has happened once or twice.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #24
7 Year Class A RV'er

TURBS: Agree completely. My buddy wishes his was only that much. I think he told me the final bill was almost $15K! Thank goodness the insurance took care of it. The TT was only about a year old. I've heard (no confirmation) of companies denying awning claims by saying it was an aftermarket installation!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #25
Old Ram Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I find it interesting that those that don't have or have never used the awning poles are so learned in what they will or will not do in weather. I guess our 2-3 yrs experience using them is for naught.
I agree, and until someone can show me those awnings work better without the poles and brackets, I'm sticking with what works! I've seen what happens without them and it ain't pretty watching some guy cussing and stomping while he's picking up the pieces of his awning. However, I understand if someone would rather just bring the awning in every time the wind kicks up or it starts to rain; at least they are taking care of the expensive awning and their investment. Me, I'd rather stake 'er down and not have to worry about it.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger61 View Post
I agree, and until someone can show me those awnings work better without the poles and brackets, I'm sticking with what works! I've seen what happens without them and it ain't pretty watching some guy cussing and stomping while he's picking up the pieces of his awning. However, I understand if someone would rather just bring the awning in every time the wind kicks up or it starts to rain; at least they are taking care of the expensive awning and their investment. Me, I'd rather stake 'er down and not have to worry about it.
X eleventy!
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #27

Old Coot, How do your awning poles work? Thanks Cyndi
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLewis View Post
Old Coot, How do your awning poles work? Thanks Cyndi
I don't make but a very limited number of poles in Mar/Apr, TURBS makes the poles, I make the attaching hardware to attach the poles to the awning. Once they are mounted, you don't have to remove them, they stow with the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning tie downs completely set up.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	82292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stow bracket.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	82294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Tie Downs anchored.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	82295   Click image for larger version

Name:	GasPeddler Awning.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	82296  
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #29

awning poles

Quote:
I am brand new to this forum and I saw this post and had to jump in. I have a 2014 Dynaquest 340XL motorhome with an electric awning. These are terrible. We were in Florida and it started to rain, the awning did not do its thing and close and the rain and a strong down wind bent the arms on the awning. I was able to get it in but that was it for the trip. I thought about designing a strap system for these useless awnings and then I came across your post. Will these work on motorhome awnings? I would love to have support and tie downs for this awning. Heck I can't afford to replace this thing everytime we use it! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Hogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogzilla View Post
I am brand new to this forum and I saw this post and had to jump in. I have a 2014 Dynaquest 340XL motorhome with an electric awning. These are terrible. We were in Florida and it started to rain, the awning did not do its thing and close and the rain and a strong down wind bent the arms on the awning. I was able to get it in but that was it for the trip. I thought about designing a strap system for these useless awnings and then I came across your post. Will these work on motorhome awnings? I would love to have support and tie downs for this awning. Heck I can't afford to replace this thing everytime we use it! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
If you can post a picture of your awning end with the motor or torsion end, we should be able to tell you.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #31

Quote:
If you can post a picture of your awning end with the motor or torsion end, we should be able to tell you.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will take a photo of it this weekend. It is a carefree (ha ha) awning with the supports that come out underneath the awning. There are no support arms on the side of the awning. It is a weak and terrible design. This is a matter of looks over function.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I will take a photo of it this weekend. It is a carefree (ha ha) awning with the supports that come out underneath the awning. There are no support arms on the side of the awning. It is a weak and terrible design. This is a matter of looks over function.
The kit will fit a Carefree. TURBS will be happy to make you a set of poles I'm sure.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #33
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
You said the awning didn't close....does your have a wind speed gauge? If so, was the lock out switch on? If no wind gauge, It's up to you to close.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
You said the awning didn't close....does your have a wind speed gauge? If so, was the lock out switch on? If no wind gauge, It's up to you to close.
The awning does not have a wind gauge but it does retract automatically by movement. I was waiting for it to retract and it was doing fine and we had a sudden down draft and it pushed the right side of the awning down. Which is the side that was tilted to drain water in case of rain. We hate the thing because every time we would be sitting out and the least little wind that blew, would close the awning. I was thinking before I found this post, that if I could stabilize the up and down movement of the awning, I could actually use it. I was just going to strap it down but the support pole makes a lot more sense because it controls upward or downward movement.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #35

Quote:
The kit will fit a Carefree. TURBS will be happy to make you a set of poles I'm sure.
Two questions. Does it work on a carefree that is completely enclosed in a metal case when closed? Will this work with the height of the awning being at 12' off the ground?

I will take photos of it closed and let you see what it looks like. I am bookmarking this page so I can find you again.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
The awning does not have a wind gauge but it does retract automatically by movement. I was waiting for it to retract and it was doing fine and we had a sudden down draft and it pushed the right side of the awning down. Which is the side that was tilted to drain water in case of rain. We hate the thing because every time we would be sitting out and the least little wind that blew, would close the awning. I was thinking before I found this post, that if I could stabilize the up and down movement of the awning, I could actually use it. I was just going to strap it down but the support pole makes a lot more sense because it controls upward or downward movement.
You will love your awning when we're done! [emoji12]

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #37
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
The sensor, I believe, is in or at the roller and would need to be disconnected in order to use poles. Might have a separate fuse.... I'd deploy the awning and remove the covers over the wiring and find out how many wires running to the roller and their colors.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Two questions. Does it work on a carefree that is completely enclosed in a metal case when closed? Will this work with the height of the awning being at 12' off the ground?

I will take photos of it closed and let you see what it looks like. I am bookmarking this page so I can find you again.
The poles attach to the arm that holds the motor and torsion end and has nothing to do with the awning cover itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00131.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	82315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attaching bracket.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	82316  
Old 07-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Current poles are just short of 9 foot long fully extended.

I can make them longer.

You need to deploy your awning and measure from roller to ground.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #40

My awning does not have any support arms exposed. When the awning is closed all that you see is the awning box attached to the motorhome.

Tags
awning, electric