Old 07-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #1

Question Tying down electric awning

This is the first Rv I've owned with an electric awning. I have seen several people using tie down straps on electric awnings, without poles installed between outer edge of awning and ground?????? Is this ok? I know OC and Turbs both are producing awning hole down poles, so I'm wondering if you actuallt need them or using them is just better?

2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #2

OC do you want to chime in on this...I'll let the expert take it from here...

Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Yes, you do need 'em....the straps by them self only control upward movement. AND THESE AWNING ARMS ARE WEAK.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
This is the first Rv I've owned with an electric awning. I have seen several people using tie down straps on electric awnings, without poles installed between outer edge of awning and ground?????? Is this ok? I know OC and Turbs both are producing awning hole down poles, so I'm wondering if you actuallt need them or using them is just better?
Not OC, but I have his brackets and poles. When we first had our old travel trailer with electric awning, we had to put it in often, whether heavy rain or usually from wind. Yes we sloped it using the little knobs on the arms, but it bounced around too much for me. I bought the brackets and poles when OC was shipping then a couple years ago for that travel trailer and loved them. Left the awning out every trip after that! Sadly, I sold that camper and didn't think to remove them before showing it and the buyer insisted he wanted them. Bought a new complete set fire our new Sabre two years ago, and used them every trip again. Several times our chairs, shoes, and "stuff " stayed dry while others either got wet, or worse yet, ended with a broken awning (12 in one campground a year ago memorial weekend in southeast Nebraska)

I think they are worth the investment. OC's brackets are great and I'm sure turbs poles will be great as well.
jtstromsburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #5

The design of the awning arms on this style awning are for a purpose. They are specifically designed to collapse and release when the winds get to high for the awning in the extended position. There was a video by the mfr. of a motor home going down the road with the awning fully extended to show how it was designed to work. They are also designed to collapse under the weight of water accumulation on the canopy. If you tie down the awning what protection do you have if the awning fills with gallons of water and stretches the fabric. Or the fabric gets whipping in the wind and tears across the top at the stitching just like a zipper. I can tell you we see 200 or more awnings damaged each year because of tie downs and unattended awnings. Not a cheap repair even under insurance with deductibles and depreciation.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
The design of the awning arms on this style awning are for a purpose. They are specifically designed to collapse and release when the winds get to high for the awning in the extended position. There was a video by the mfr. of a motor home going down the road with the awning fully extended to show how it was designed to work. They are also designed to collapse under the weight of water accumulation on the canopy. If you tie down the awning what protection do you have if the awning fills with gallons of water and stretches the fabric. Or the fabric gets whipping in the wind and tears across the top at the stitching just like a zipper. I can tell you we see 200 or more awnings damaged each year because of tie downs and unattended awnings. Not a cheap repair even under insurance with deductibles and depreciation.
Make sure you tell this to people you see with an awning sitting folded up on their roof. When you use poles you tilt the awning when you tie it down so the rain will run off.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
They might have been tied down, but I assure you they did NOT have poles supporting them. I don't know the exact no. of how many I've sold, but it is well over 100 and no one has lost an awning yet. They do have to be tilted for rain run off of course, but if they are staked down with ratchet straps and dog screw anchors, they are good to go in at least 25mph wind.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
I use the tilt feature. and adjust poles for that. I have, only once, had the automatic dump work, and it does, but thought that it waited to long to dump....raised h..l when it did....
Old 07-07-2015, 06:40 AM   #9

I use my home-made awning poles and tilt one side of the awning and have never had a problem even in high winds.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Imo the electric awning and it's current configuration is a design FLAW.
anything above 10 mph winds and it must be retracted.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"

Tags
awning, electric