Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #1

Venetian Blinds and Privacy

My 2019 Puma is being prepped. I noticed that it came with these really flimsy venetian blinds on all of the windows. I thought this was a really strange design decision. The dealer gave me a price of $800 - $850 to replace them with night shades. This includes a $150 freight charge (seriously???).

My question is this: How much privacy will these thin venetians provide (especially at night) if I want to take my time and replace them later?
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
3boxerss

They arent aweful bad.. I made the DH walk around inside while I went around outside looking to see what I could see in the day and at nite. On our TT its only the edges of the blinds that you can kinda see in but only at certain angles and when you are about 4 feet from the TT.. I added a curtain over the blind beside our bed . Mostly because the sun always seems to shine on that side in the mornings no matter where we park and wakes me way too early.

Previous Campers
2017 FR Wildwood 201 BHXL
2001 Traillite Bantam B19
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boxerss View Post
They arent aweful bad.. I made the DH walk around inside while I went around outside looking to see what I could see in the day and at nite. On our TT its only the edges of the blinds that you can kinda see in but only at certain angles and when you are about 4 feet from the TT.. I added a curtain over the blind beside our bed . Mostly because the sun always seems to shine on that side in the mornings no matter where we park and wakes me way too early.
Great minds think alike! Thank you for that information - exactly what I was hoping to find out.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

My buddy has the blinds, he was in trailer right next to me 10 feet away, and I couldn't see anything other than a dark silhouette go by now and then whenever I glanced over. Couldn't tell if it was him or his wife. No way would I throw that kind of coin down.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
My buddy has the blinds, he was in trailer right next to me 10 feet away, and I couldn't see anything other than a dark silhouette go by now and then whenever I glanced over. Couldn't tell if it was him or his wife. No way would I throw that kind of coin down.
Thanks! Great information / perspective to have. I didn’t really want to spring for them now.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #6
DanLE

We towed an older Puma 25rs for several years and really loved it as a "couple's trailer". We had blinds all around but the Bedroom had tie-back black-out curtains as well so the early morning sun shine was never a problem. In the time we owned that trailer we eventually replaced almost every metal blind with low dollar vinyl blinds and even in the living area the decorative tie-back curtains took care of the night time window edge privacy issues even though they were Not designed to be drawn entirely across the larger windows. Went to a slightly longer trailer with slides a few years ago and THAT one came equipped with day/night pleated shades. Happy Camping to All ! !
DanLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #7

We have been slowly (as they break) been replacing our shades with the cellular blinds - some just bottom up and some top down/bottom up. It isn't a hard job and if you can get the sizes, you can get them at Home Depot or Menard's for a pretty reasonable price. If you replace the slatted blinds, they are not very costly at all and you can usually take out the slats you don't want/need and shorten them to the correct size. We did this to our last trailer and it worked very well, too. Saved the left over slats in case one was damaged in the trailer. We did oversize the width a little bit to keep the privacy. Did the same with the pleated ones. Turned out better than the day/night ones that came with the unit.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote