Old 07-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Is this another of your inventions, OC?
Sorry to say it isn't. Learned about it on this forum. I think Herk posted it a year or so ago.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #12

I've done it too. In our popup in a flooding down pour. We even had it sloped, but not enough. It collapsed at 1am trapping the door closed. We didn't replace it. We have an auto awing on our new TT. I'll roll that bad boy in if WX is that bad again.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Site Team

I was cooking under my awning recently (electric awning) during a light rain. So proud that I was nice and dry, the fish was frying up pretty and then ......................wham - dump - splash! The "self dumping" anwing had built up a load of water in the center, then one arm lowered, dumped the rain and popped right back up. I was afraid something was ruined but a neighbor told me it was supposed to do that. Duh! Who knew?
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Would rather tilt the awning at least 8"-10" than depend on the "self dumping" feature that doesn't work all the time.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by grb2980 View Post
I fear that this won't work. The point at which the aluminum failed was crushed due to the weight. Think of a straw that has been bent, snapped and both ends are smashed closed.
Better to just replace the tube.
Why have an ugly patched-up awning?
And unless you did it yourself, hacking together the old one would cost more than a brand new tube.
Have you checked to see if your insurance might cover it?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Unless the awning material is torn, the only thing visible is where the tubes meet where it is exposed on the bottom and it is a lot stronger than a regular tube. Cost is around $150-$175 for the reinforcement.

Need to watch the video of an actual repair.http://www.megax57.com/products/MX57...e-unit%29.html
Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #17

Since it just happened this morning, I haven't had a chance to get a quote for repair, hence I don't know if insurance is an option. My deductible is $1000. Anybody out there know what replacing the tube will cost? Unless the awning fabric tears during the trip home, 190 miles, that should be the only thing that needs replacing.

Anybody have a real life cost on this?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Unless the awning material is torn, the only thing visible is where the tubes meet where it is exposed on the bottom and it is a lot stronger than a regular tube. Cost is around $150-$175 for the reinforcement.

Need to watch the video of an actual repair.MX57 (*Single unit) - MX57

Ok OC, you win. I can't spend all day on this site like you do.
You always want the last word, so I concede.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grb2980 View Post
Since it just happened this morning, I haven't had a chance to get a quote for repair, hence I don't know if insurance is an option. My deductible is $1000. Anybody out there know what replacing the tube will cost? Unless the awning fabric tears during the trip home, 190 miles, that should be the only thing that needs replacing.

Anybody have a real life cost on this?
I had the same problem, (numerous rain storms) until the tube finally bent in half. I bought a new roller tube and fabric (21 ft) online. Didn't notice the arms weren't included, so now I have a 21 ft roller tube and awning fabric for sale. The cost was $700 without the arms. I had a friend whose camper got flooded, so he basically parted out the Rv. I picked up his 21 ft awning for the smoking price of "4 cases of bud light!" I figure I would sell the new tube and fabric for $500. It's an A&E, if anyone's interested. Shipping would be a killer though, it's gotta go freight or be picked up in northern Wisconsin.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #20

I feel your pain. Did the same thing a few years ago it rained during the night water collected on top of the fabric. The next morning I could not open the door of the camper to get outside. By the time I got the door open so I could get out the tube broke and dumped the water. My wife thought the TT was going to turn over. My insurance did cover it less the deductible.