Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
LA Totally Awesome is available at the Dollar Store.
It does a great job of cleaning tons of surfaces.
But....if the mold is really bad, you will have to scrub awhile. Nothing is strong enough to JUST spray on and fix your problem.
As with a lot of solutions, rinse really really well.
Ken
Which LA totally awesome product are you using? The one in the 32 oz spray bottle, orange in color or this one:Awesome Oxygen Base Cleaner | LA's Totally Awesome

Tom
Old 07-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #22

After years of trying the various products mentioned above my favorite is the Walmart Great Value Mold & Mildew remover. It is much stronger then the Clorox or CLR brands. Removes black streaks on fiberglass too. Don't leave anything with bleach on more than 15 minutes.
TheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Last year I made a cover for the awning by using 2 inverted sections of vinyl rain gutter. It fits nicely into the RV rain gutter and can be removed easily from the ground. This spring, there was no water trapped inside and the awning was nearly clean (no mold or mildew spots) before I started. Plus, the sun damage I had repaired last year was not deteriorating any more.

Can you post a little more info on your gutter setup? I can't get my brain to figure out how that works.... Pics would be highly appreciated!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Can you post a little more info on your gutter setup? I can't get my brain to figure out how that works.... Pics would be highly appreciated!
SailorSam20500;
I won't be able to take pictures until I visit the TT in Storage, which is about 25 miles from home, but I will try to describe the setup with more detail for you.
The TT has a small rain gutter factory fastened to the wall, just below the edge of the roof. It is about 1" wide and runs the length of the TT. My TT has an 18 ft. Dometic 91000 power awning which when rolled up is about 4-1/2" in diameter.
The vinyl rain gutter comes in 10 ft lengths and is the "K" style Since I can't paste a picture from the Home Depot site to here, I'll try to draw an end view |_r see https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax...0573/100079740
Invert the gutter, then you slide the straight edge into the little gutter made on the side of the TT. The open side will now slip over the rolled up awning and end struts. I did not join the 2 sections, rather, I just let them overlap slightly at the middle of the awning. You can trim the vinyl with shears or stout scissors. You don't need any hanger brackets or section joiner pieces. The total cost is less than $10. (The 10 ft sections are $4.68 each at Lowe's Home Center here in Slidell, La. or $4.62 each at Home Depot in Slidell, La.)
Sorry I couldn't provide a picture for you, but I will try to remember the next time we get ready to go camp. I am also trying to figure out how to hang the same on my 14 ft slide topper. The inverted gutter will stay in place reasonably well (We just went through 60+ m.p.h. winds from Hurricane Barry and it did not move! Since they are not securely fastened to the TT, I would not try to tow with them still in place.)
I hope that description helps, if not please get back with me.

.............. Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:25 PM   #25

I use 409 just rinse well.
Jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #26

Bleach works for me

When I purchsed my 2013 Rockwood, it was used and had been setting for at least 2 years, rolled up in the sun in the Georgia humidity. I tried all the tricks that were posted at the time and nothing touched the mold and mildeau that had collected on the vinyl (should have been white, not black with molding)...

I said ok, I've nothing to lose and had read an obscure posting about someone who used pure bleach on the vinyl (cautioned to spot test). So I mixed a 50-50 bleach solution and soaked the vinyl top and bottom. Then I rolled it up and let it set for several hours. Unrolled, rinsed and wow, what a difference it was almost white except some areas. There didn't appear to be any harm to the surface of the vinyl so I increase the bleach mixture to 75% and rolled it up overnight. It was almost new looking, except some staining along the area that is showing when rolled up.

That's almost 3 years ago and it still looks very good with no apparent harm to the vinyl or stitching. As always should you accept this challenge, we will disavow any knowledge of why you would try such a thing.
PRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #27

LA works very well

LA Totally Awesome is super inexpensive, and does very well. I used it for the first time early this month, and was not disappointed with the result. In fact, I then tried it out on some bright white siding on our outbuilding that was growing some green scuz from all the rain, and scuz basically wiped right off without difficulty.
bruspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #28
Dazed & Confused

We have great results with 30 Second Outdoor Cleaner mixed in a pump sprayer.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #29

Cleaning your awning

I found an all purpose mold spray called, "Wet-n-Forget" at Menards. It will kill mold and in many cases, "bleach" it out so that you no longer see where it had been. I used this on the underside of our 5th Wheel awning and it looks like new. It's the same stuff I use on our deck.
kooldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #30

Quote:
But....if the mold is really bad, you will have to scrub awhile. Nothing is strong enough to JUST spray on and fix your problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	211086
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:29 PM   #31

Wet-n-Forget works very well.
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #32

I just tried the new Magic Eraser mop head and was extremely impressed on how easy it was. I just sprayed the awning with water, dunked the mop in a bucket of water, and rubbed the mop up and down. Very little effort needed. Rinse throughly and your done.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #33

Quote:
But....if the mold is really bad, you will have to scrub awhile.
I disagree with this statement and post about that here...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ot-134959.html

try 2X Mold Stain Remover... it really does melt black mold stains before your very eyes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2x.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	211091  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #34

Simple green. Full strength on the mold. Diluted for general washing. And completely all natural ie not toxic.
mmmartin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:15 PM   #35

I used Starbrite Mildew Stain Remover on my Dad's trailer awning and it did a decent job. It can usually be found at a boating center.
rrolphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmartin33 View Post
Simple green. Full strength on the mold. Diluted for general washing. And completely all natural ie not toxic.

Because it has "green" in the name? There's some not natural things here, but it is almost 85% water!

Water 7732-18-5 > 84.8%*
C9-11 Alcohols Ethoxylated 68439-46-3 < 5%*
Sodium Citrate 68-04-2 < 5%*
Sodium Carbonate 497-19-8 < 1%*
Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate 51981-21-6 < 1%*
Citric Acid 77-92-9 < 1%*
Methylchloroisothiazolinone 26172-55-4 < 0.002%*
Methylisothiazolinone 2682-20-4 < 0.001%*
Fragrance Proprietary Mixture < 1%*
Liquitint Colorant
; 2019 - 29 nights; 2020 - 17 nights; 2021 - 10 nights
missonyxk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblt44 View Post
What is safe to use on the awning to remove mold.
Is there a product I can spray on and just rinse off ?
I don't want to damage the awning but need to remove mold.
The water gets in it while rolled up between trips.
I'm hoping to get a carport soon to prevent this.
LA Totally Awesome indeed does an awesome job, is economical, and you’ll find it at your local Dollar Store (one around most every corner or country mile)...
D321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #38

Thumbs up

Quote:
Caution with working overhead with the solution of bleach and detergent ... be sure to wear some protective glasses as the solution will burn your eyes like over chlorinated pool water.

Good Camping ... Swampy
Since liquid sprayed from a misting bottle to the underside of a canopy seems to run and collect into runny little streams then into droplets, I recommend goggles or a a full shield. A drop of (even) diluted bleach in the eye will sting then remain painful for two days if it drips off the canopy, behind your impact resistant prescription multifocal none-safety glasses and directly into into your eye as you gaze at the great job you’re doing of removing mould. It also makes people ask, “What’s wrong with your eye?” a lot so it must make you look funny too.

Don’t ask me how I know.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #39

Got the urge to clean mine last night with just whatever I had at the house. Had half a spray bottle of fantastic and som clorox clinging gell. mixed a few ounces of gell in the spray bottle .... sprayed, rolled up awning for an hour or so... spraayed off with minimal light brushing... Id say 85% gone. One more treatment I think I'll call it done.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Is Totally Awesome SAFE to use on Vinyl ???

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning