Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

What's wrong with my awning?

During the last camping trip the retaining washer came off the pin at the top of my awning arm. I was able to put it back together with a bolt and a couple of nuts (see photo). The awning works now. I would suggest everyone check the pins on their awnings to be safe.

The problem I have now is that there is a gap at the bottom of the arm when the awning is closed (see photo). This occurred before the fix but is much worse now. I not sure of the cause or the fix. Does this have something to do with the gas strut? It only occurs on the one arm. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #2

Look up the side of the two rails where they come together. Is is it contacting anywhere? The only time mine did that it was slightly bent. A little bit of force was all it took to straighten it back out.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
Site Team

The pins go in cutouts. in the bracket make sure after repair the pins/bolt can fit in the cutout

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

Head to your nearest RV dealer and ask if you can "dumpster dive" for the missing parts for your awning. Many old or damaged awnings are being replaced and then simply thrown away. These" junk" awnings are a great source for parts not usually available from the manufacturer. I was able to get some replacement parts I needed this way. Good luck and happy "diving".
RockyRoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoo19 View Post
Head to your nearest RV dealer and ask if you can "dumpster dive" for the missing parts for your awning. Many old or damaged awnings are being replaced and then simply thrown away.

I can not see what the issue is with the pictures provided, but I can say RockyRoo is on the money.

There is literally a 3 foot pile of awning arms behind our shed that were warrantied and lippert/dometic/carefree doesn't want them returned.

i.e., if the arm was bent, they replace the arm, but the shock is still good...

fyi: lippert is admitting longitude arms are not viable, and they are working on a replacement.
email is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning