Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Spikedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 117
White plastic roller broken on roof vent operator - options?

The little white plastic roller wheel on my bathroom roof vent busted off last weekend. I found the vent cover flipped all the way open and the wheel had busted off neatly and was lying on the screen like a little Lifesaver candy. The crank handle is fine, and the plastic vent cover is brand new.

There's a rivet that held the wheel on that I can drill out. I was figuring on going to the hardware store and browsing through the parts bins for something that might work. Anyone else come up with something to fix this?

I could buy a whole new assembly for ~$40 but I think I can make something work here.
__________________

__________________
2007 Coachman Freelander 26' w/ E-450 6.0L diesel
1982 El Dorado Bermuda 27' w/ E-350 460 gas (sold)
Spikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 4,322
Look in the sliding and/or patio door section. They have lots of small plastic rollers and ways to attach them.
__________________

__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Member
 
rclogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedog View Post
The little white plastic roller wheel on my bathroom roof vent busted off last weekend. I found the vent cover flipped all the way open and the wheel had busted off neatly and was lying on the screen like a little Lifesaver candy. The crank handle is fine, and the plastic vent cover is brand new.

There's a rivet that held the wheel on that I can drill out. I was figuring on going to the hardware store and browsing through the parts bins for something that might work. Anyone else come up with something to fix this?

I could buy a whole new assembly for ~$40 but I think I can make something work here.
Chrysler rear brakes used to have a U shaped retainer that you have to replace with every brake job, it hold the E-brake lever in place to the primary shoe (it bends close with ease). i used two of them to replace the worn out nylon retainer, cost me $2.09

BrakeBest Hardware & Hydraulics H1177-2 - Brake Hold Down C-Clip | O'Reilly Auto Parts
__________________
'03 Dodge Gen III Diesel 4DR/WD
'98 Dodge 2500 2wd
'07 FR Cardinal LE 30RK
'01 Exiss 300MT Weekender
Lori the Best Half - Katie the dog: keeping me in line.
rclogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Spikedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 117
Fixed it

with a small nylon roller from Ace. The aluminum rivet that held the old roller was a pain to get removed. I hacksawed both sides off it and still it held on - I couldn't press it out. I eventually used a self-drilling screw to bore it out, and then used the same screw to hold the nylon roller. The little roller doesn't actually roll (since it has a screw holding it on) but that doesn't seem to matter that much. Fixed it for $0.25.
__________________
2007 Coachman Freelander 26' w/ E-450 6.0L diesel
1982 El Dorado Bermuda 27' w/ E-350 460 gas (sold)
Spikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 7
I used a tie strap and so far so good, $0.01?
__________________
Caretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Spikedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretti View Post
I used a tie strap and so far so good, $0.01?
Can you still operate the vent? That sounds pretty good. I tied it down with dental floss to get the vent to close, then duct taped it for the 100 mile drive home. It've been easier if there wasn't a screen in the way so you can't work on it from below. I should throw a few tie wraps in the tool drawer.

__________________
2007 Coachman Freelander 26' w/ E-450 6.0L diesel
1982 El Dorado Bermuda 27' w/ E-350 460 gas (sold)
Spikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedog View Post
Can you still operate the vent? That sounds pretty good. I tied it down with dental floss to get the vent to close, then duct taped it for the 100 mile drive home. It've been easier if there wasn't a screen in the way so you can't work on it from below. I should throw a few tie wraps in the tool drawer.

Do you NOT have MaxAir type vent covers over your vents? Do you drive with your Lids in the Open position? Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Spikedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 117
I've got 2 vents with MaxxAir covers. They are bigger vents with thermostatic fans. I have 2 smaller vents that don't have MaxxAir covers. One is plain, and the one I just fixed is in the bathroom. It has a very small electric fan, very noisy.
__________________
2007 Coachman Freelander 26' w/ E-450 6.0L diesel
1982 El Dorado Bermuda 27' w/ E-350 460 gas (sold)
Spikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedog View Post
I've got 2 vents with MaxxAir covers. They are bigger vents with thermostatic fans. I have 2 smaller vents that don't have MaxxAir covers. One is plain, and the one I just fixed is in the bathroom. It has a very small electric fan, very noisy.
Yes they are Very Noisy,but even though it is a small fan isn't it installed in a standard 14x14 opening that can be replaced by a Real Ex Fan with a MaxAir cover? Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 7
Can you still operate the vent?

I have opened and closed it several times. I have the covers so don't need to use it much.

Peace,
Bob
__________________

__________________
Caretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roo, roof, vent

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.