Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #1

Wildwood awning

Have a 2016 27rk.. Awning recently started having problems retracting. Has an lci distribution center, has 13+volts with or without battery connected. When trying to retract the voltage on the awning wires goes to nothing and the awning just goes in a few inches. No blown fuses any place, exposed awning wire ok, greased the gears on the motor, awning goes out just fine, a little slower than when brand new. Cannot tell anyplace if it needs battery but, without battery connected it does the same thing. Checking the battery tomorrow. Meter shows 12+ volts.
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #2

I would not operate any high current devices without the battery hooked up. It sounds like your battery is not providing any power.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:27 PM   #3

Thanks, going to have it checked, probably get a new one, it is getting old. Might need to check the charging circuit, did not see any charging voltage to the battery.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #4

Is the awning square on the roller? Mines off a bit and that will cause the arms to bind. I have to adjust mine next time we prep for a trip. My guess is this is the cause. Being uneven just a little, 1/2 - 1" will do it
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #5

Went to adjust mine last night. Opened it up no problem. Noticed about 12" of the "spline" sticking out on front side. This is the hard plastic bead that gets pushed into the roller holding the fabric in. Had a bear of a time pushing back in with a pair of pliers. Couldn't ever get my awning square enough though for it to retract the way it used to. Now needs some help pushing on the arms. Any ideas anyone?
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #6

I had this happen to me. The awning motor would run for a few seconds SLOW and then overheat and cut out. It would reset and the same thing would happen. I even went and spent money on a new battery and that didn't help.

I had the motor replaced under warranty. The new motor came with the same exact date code on it, but it sounds a LOT meaner like it's actually working.

However, in researching, I found that the drivers side window motor for a 94 Chevy Lumina is the same bolt pattern as the lippert awning motor at a fraction of the cost. You only lose the ability to use the manual retraction. However, it only takes 5 min to replace the entire motor anyways, so if I have to use my spare, I'll just get another one and not worry about the manual retraction.

Dorman part 742-141

Cardone part
# 42-127 & Part # 82-127 for the select

I bought one just to keep as a spare.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #7

Was out over the weekend. Battery was bad but, a new one did not help. Everything seems square so, I do not think that's the prob. Gonna have to try the motor I guess....thanks for the auto part numbers, gonna try one of them. Will keep you posted.

Tags
awning, wildwood