Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
23ss ROOster

Wind tore the gas strut from the door frame

Tore the 3 screws out, causing the door to swing wide open from the original position of half open. Anyone have repair ideas? Best type of silicon to use to repair damage in door where screws tore out? Can I reverse the the gas strut to opposite side of door and will this allow door to open? Don't want the expense of new door, can only guess how expensive that would be. Can't mod and hook door wide open as awning arm is in the way. Any help from others who had similar issue will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	115504  

2012 23SS ROO
2014 Ford 4x4 F150 XLT 302A, screw, Ecoboost, 3.73, max tow, off road pkg., 36 gal tank, Ruby Red, tailgate step, Linex spray in, Truxedo bed cover, 30% front tint, Viper remote start, 1000 lbs WDH
Wags2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #2

They do make the "T style" door latches in both 4 and 6 inch and in B or W. I eliminated both gas struts on my TT, hated them, you couldn't have the doors open more than 90 degrees...and the wind would catch the door which your are too familiar with. On the rear door I used a 6" T latch that had to be mounted inboard a few inches to allow the door when opened, to not crash into my kitchen tilt out window. I see that FR has done this on the 2017 model of my TT. Using the same concept, you could mount one so as to not crash into your awning arm. You'll probably end up mounting the receiver part about 6-7" from the hinge. Rubber bumpers are available in 2 1/4" max length to use in conjunction with these. You're probably going to need a block of wood, hammer and a gentle touch to smooth the damage and either silicone or no-sag dicor to fix the door if, I'm seeing the pic correctly, which I'm not, your pic is 90 degrees off! Damage is at top of door, yes?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #3

I have seen this problem on this forum in the past. Try doing a search. If I remember correctly, Old Coot did a mod to repair/ enhance his door and strut.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms1960 View Post
I have seen this problem on this forum in the past. Try doing a search. If I remember correctly, Old Coot did a mod to repair/ enhance his door and strut.
Yes "plate both sides" and use Long bolts with nuts! Youroo!!
Old 07-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #6

"Can't mod and hook door wide open as awning arm is in the way." I have the same problem when my awning is out and one opens the bath door to the outside. The door has a gas shock on it but if one is not careful the door will swing open fast and hits the awning arm. I have already thought about the "what if" the gas shock tears loose from the door. I have not seen "Old Coots" mod but believe I understand it. Drilling through the door and using longer bolts, not screws, with nuts sounds like a good idea.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
23ss ROOster

I ended up moving the torn bracklet just so slightly to the right of the damaged area on the face of the door. Replaced the strut and works well. The door swings open a little wider now, which I do not mind, as it still misses the awning arm. I may investigate and look at a new strut replacement just to give me more resistance. I will send pics later.

2012 23SS ROO
2014 Ford 4x4 F150 XLT 302A, screw, Ecoboost, 3.73, max tow, off road pkg., 36 gal tank, Ruby Red, tailgate step, Linex spray in, Truxedo bed cover, 30% front tint, Viper remote start, 1000 lbs WDH
Wags2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
That's what OC did....move the mounting point so door opens as far as the awning arm will allow
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, frame, gas