Old 04-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
von

windows/roof

on a 06 flagstaff, took out front window this eve found some damp area a little mold, cut out the moldy stuff going to replace it, what goes on the outside for water proofing/sealing?? silicone? it had some kind of putty like stuff for a sealant, kinda like plumbers putty ( for sink drains ) was that from factory? or a fast fix. one more i was told that home depot has something for water proofing roofs the stuff at the rv place here is $60 per gal (i think) depots is $100 for 5 gal what i was told, anyone know anything about this, i want to reseal the roof!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:46 AM   #2

Don't use silicon. You want to use butyl rubber tape. It comes in 3/4 inch rolls. It is supposed,never harden anthems remains flexible. Search window sealing on this forum for more info.. The original stuff gets hard and cracks. With a helper it sounds,fairly easy to do.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
von

thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #4

rv roof repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
on a 06 flagstaff, took out front window this eve found some damp area a little mold, cut out the moldy stuff going to replace it, what goes on the outside for water proofing/sealing?? silicone? it had some kind of putty like stuff for a sealant, kinda like plumbers putty ( for sink drains ) was that from factory? or a fast fix. one more i was told that home depot has something for water proofing roofs the stuff at the rv place here is $60 per gal (i think) depots is $100 for 5 gal what i was told, anyone know anything about this, i want to reseal the roof!
Go to a site called RV 101 , Mark Polk operates this and he has a solution for almost every RV issue I have ever come across. Great site to subscribe to.

Brandon 2
24 wildcat
F 150 5.4
Old 04-19-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
von

thanks ill look it up
Old 04-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #6

Why does everyone say not to use silicone on the outside of your rig? I see silicone on my new rig outside various places. Obviously the factory thinks it's ok. Just would like to know for future reference?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Why does everyone say not to use silicone on the outside of your rig? I see silicone on my new rig outside various places. Obviously the factory thinks it's ok. Just would like to know for future reference?
The factory does it the cheap way and sometimes the owner gets to pay for it, If you wish to continue in the ways of the factory please do so.
Forgive those of us who like to do things once.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
The factory does it the cheap way and sometimes the owner gets to pay for it, If you wish to continue in the ways of the factory please do so.
Forgive those of us who like to do things once.

I didn't say I was gonna follow suite and do what the factory does! Was just looking for a explanation as to why it's bad. Thanks anyway
Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #9
von

well i can say that on mine ( 06) the original tape was STILL pliable i was amazed!! and here it is about $8 a roll which will do about 4 reg size windows, all the videos i saw put it on the RV then re install the window but that left gaps so i put it on the window after installing cut off excess and the cut off excess i used to do around all the storage doors! i mainly did silicone for a clean look and it cant hurt !
Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #10

I have a similar problem no mold yet but found it was condensation from around the inside trim ring. Kept getting a little rust stain line running down the wall that located right where a screw was. Screws were found to be rusty and a void was found behind trim ring. How do you stop this one from happening?

Tags
roo, roof