Old 05-31-2016, 07:16 AM   #1
Yup, so that was our awning... (need replacement)

After a successful long weekend camping, I sheered off our awning pulling into a temporary and unusual parking spot in front of our house as we were unable to pull directly down back. Blocked traffic for a bit, all our neighbors decided to arrive home at exactly that moment. Lots of fun.

So, anyway. The awning was a domestic 916FT, I believe, on a 2015 Rockwood Roo 233S we got last year. Other than some scrapes, the walls of the camper seemed to hold up fine, with the screws popping out of the sides, and the bolts at the top largely holding strong and letting the brackets break. I don't think the material of the awning is recoverable with a couple of scars, but maybe?

So, thoughts on going through insurance and getting a similar replacement, or using this as an opportunity to buy a decent upgrade? If so, what (brand) and how (through a dealer or online)?

Hope everyone had better luck this weekend than we did!

alfista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
Site Team
Yup, so that was our awning... (need replacement)

Not all insurance policies automatically cover awnings. Mine is covered by an add-on (rider?). My awning was ripped off by a microburst.

I found an awning sale with free installation at a CW.

If you do a Search, leave out the "s" and spell it DOMETIC.

Sent (I think)

SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
I too am in the market for a replacement awning (it was damaged & removed by the previous owner of my rig)... my experience has been that not a lot of folks actively SHOP for awnings and/or know a lot about them. They generally either have one installed on their RV when buying it, use that one, and never think much about it... and if they ever need a replacement, that is done via insurance claim and they end up with the same basic make/model/features.

I'd definitely go the insurance route if possible, although the amount of your deductible may be a considerable factor. Awnings can easily run upwards of $1000 if you are having a shop replace it.

Was there anything about your previous awning you didn't like?
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote

awning, replacement