Old 07-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #1

12vdc lights in the slide out not working....

Summary: the two 12vdc ceiling lights in my slide out are not working. All other 12vdc lights work. I checked the connection under the room where the wiring comes from the converter/battery and feeds up through the slide out wall and out to the two lights. There was 12vdc at this connection. Went inside and took down one of the 12vdc lights. Two wires coming out of the cabinets that feed the light show 12 volts across the two wires. Took the light into my garage, hooked it up to a 12vdc source, and, you guessed it, the light works! Sounds like a ground problem, so I ran a temporary ground wire from trailer ground direct to the light and they still won't come on. So, what am I missing here?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #2

same problem with 2004 sierra slide, NO power on 12 volt lights. Where is the switch?
Did you get this resolved

thanks
Mark 504-465-6481

Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDragon View Post
same problem with 2004 sierra slide, NO power on 12 volt lights. Where is the switch?
Did you get this resolved

thanks
Mark 504-465-6481

No, I haven't resolved the problem. Just tried the ground wire this morning.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:31 PM   #4

I will keep looking as well. Do you know what is the swith for these lights? is it the one with the grouped with the slide switch?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
I will keep looking as well. Do you know what is the swith for these lights? is it the one with the grouped with the slide switch?

The only switches are in the center of each of the light assemblies. Hard wired to the lights. No external switches. My trailer is a 2005 Grand Surveyor 240BH 5th wheel.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The easy way to trouble shoot 12 volt wiring in a trailer. THERE is NO EASY WAY! With that said, take a light fixture back down. Also take the top off your stove, down to the gas burners. You are looking for the copper gas line in the stove, that is GROUND. Now use a piece of scrap wire or what ever you have to do to connect your meter ground lead to the copper gas pipe, and be able to get your meter over near the light fixture. Now check each wire at the fixture, with ground lead hooked to the propane copper line. Check with the switch in both positions. Maybe this will get you going. The propane lines must be grounded, and all metal through out the camper. They can use rubber out on the tongue, but you will see that it turns metal as soon as it goes under the trailer. Propane line must also must be grounded close to there. Only guaranteed ground in a camper when you are trying to repair electrical problems.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
The easy way to trouble shoot 12 volt wiring in a trailer. THERE is NO EASY WAY! With that said, take a light fixture back down. Also take the top off your stove, down to the gas burners. You are looking for the copper gas line in the stove, that is GROUND. Now use a piece of scrap wire or what ever you have to do to connect your meter ground lead to the copper gas pipe, and be able to get your meter over near the light fixture. Now check each wire at the fixture, with ground lead hooked to the propane copper line. Check with the switch in both positions. Maybe this will get you going. The propane lines must be grounded, and all metal through out the camper. They can use rubber out on the tongue, but you will see that it turns metal as soon as it goes under the trailer. Propane line must also must be grounded close to there. Only guaranteed ground in a camper when you are trying to repair electrical problems.
Thanks Windrider,
Never thought about the line in the stove being grounded. Much easier to get to than the chassis ground in my battery storage compartment.

Wayne
Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #8

Problem was in positive lead which feeds inside the track for the slide. Also during the process, 15 amp fuse blew in the dsi converter circuit. Interesting, because the 12vdc to the slide out lights were connected to this circuit rather than one of the three fuses labeled interior lights.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #9

Great help folks,
CRUSMSL- what color was the supply wire? black/white hot and white ground? what color wire was hot on the 15 amp fuse that popped?

the information of NO switch clears things up a bit,

thanks all
Mark
Old 07-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Great help folks,
CRUSMSL- what color was the supply wire? black/white hot and white ground? what color wire was hot on the 15 amp fuse that popped?

the information of NO switch clears things up a bit,

thanks all
Mark

Mark, the wires going through the wall of the slide out are black/white/green (not used). The wire color feeding the light itself are orange/white and white.

Tags
12 Volt