Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

2 of 3 slide outs will not extend

Hello, at the end of last season we purchased a 2001 Coahmen Royal Delux 385. So other than having it moved to our site we did nothing but have it winterized. We very excitedly travelled up to our campground this year only to discover my large slide out and bedroom slide out will not extend (both are on the backside of our fifth wheel). The front slide out works fine. We attempted to try and manually crank out the large slide, but there was a lot of resistance, so rather than tempting faith we gave up. Any words of wisdom to what we may be doing wrong, either electrically or manually would be greatly appreciated. We bought a new battery with 800 cold cranking amps, flicked the switch to the middle which is what we believe is the manual override position and checked the fuses in our fuse box (located in our trailer). Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.
Stooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooey View Post
Hello, at the end of last season we purchased a 2001 Coahmen Royal Delux 385. So other than having it moved to our site we did nothing but have it winterized. We very excitedly travelled up to our campground this year only to discover my large slide out and bedroom slide out will not extend (both are on the backside of our fifth wheel). The front slide out works fine. We attempted to try and manually crank out the large slide, but there was a lot of resistance, so rather than tempting faith we gave up. Any words of wisdom to what we may be doing wrong, either electrically or manually would be greatly appreciated. We bought a new battery with 800 cold cranking amps, flicked the switch to the middle which is what we believe is the manual override position and checked the fuses in our fuse box (located in our trailer). Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.
some of the older slides have lock bars on top that people put in place so they won't come out down the road . maybe this is it . not sure of the controls in your unit . electric ? is there locks on them? does each slide have it's own switch ?pictures, fuses checked , etc
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #3

i wasn't able to see any locking mechanisms on the back slideouts, this is what my switches look like. Sorry for the large pic. Each slide does have it's own switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	108075  
Old 05-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
i wasn't able to see any locking mechanisms on the back slideouts, this is what my switches look like. Sorry for the large pic. Each slide does have it's own switch.
No pictures but have you checked your fuses ? are they electric slides ? hydraulic ? more info is needed to try and trouble shoot . is the unit plugged in to shore power sometimes a battery is not enough
Old 05-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #5

I wouldn't have the first clue if it was hydraulic or electric, I'm so green it's not funny. Tried with only battery power and again with shore power and battery. The only fuses I could find were in the trailer. Pic under electrical system. We checked all the ones marked 15 amps(?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	504.1 KB
ID:	108076  
Old 05-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

Quote:
I wouldn't have the first clue if it was hydraulic or electric, I'm so green it's not funny. Tried with only battery power and again with shore power and battery. The only fuses I could find were in the trailer. Pic under electrical system.
If fuses are good did you hold the switch down long enough . my guess is it is something simple that you've forgotten from last yr . still can't see a picture
Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
I wouldn't have the first clue if it was hydraulic or electric, I'm so green it's not funny. Tried with only battery power and again with shore power and battery. The only fuses I could find were in the trailer. Pic under electrical system. We checked all the ones marked 15 amps(?).
That is not a picture . did you visually check the fuses . can you find your distribution panel ? do other 12 volt items work ? ie lights
wish i could help but with what info i have i'm not sure what is good or not . maybe there is a trouble shooting guide in your handbook
Old 05-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #8

Visually checked the fuses and unfortunately the person we purchased the fifth wheel from retracted them so we could move it to our lot. Lights etc all work. My manual unfortunately isn't worth the paper it was printed on. My apologies my trailer is an hour and half away from me, but that is what my stuff looks like.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #9

I am not familiar with your specific unit but I would guess the slide that works is electric. The other 2 are hydraulic.
I'm guessing there is a big 12V breaker tripped somewhere. In my motorhome it's by the batteries and is about 90 to 100 amps.
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
i wasn't able to see any locking mechanisms on the back slideouts
They would be on the top of the slide on the inside of the trailer. May look something like this:

Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They would have to be mechanical/electric slides. OP said he tried to run them out mechanically, if he had hydraulic he would have known. You have to run them out at the motor/pump. Check underneath at the slide rails and rack/pinion. Do they look rusted? With a unit that is 14-15 years old, hard to say what kind of upkeep has been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #12

There is rust visible on the slide that works. The other 2 (non functioning) are covered by a cover.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
There is rust visible on the slide that works. The other 2 (non functioning) are covered by a cover.
With your very limited knowledge and lack of experience it is very difficult to convey to you what to look at . I would either get a hold of the previous owner or call a mobile tech . pay the money and have him educate you a bit and fix your issue .
i say this because i would direct you to take voltage reading at the switch , at the motor , etc if no voltage then start looking for a fuse they can be just about anywhere .
Old 05-18-2016, 06:20 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Taking voltage readings etc, won't fix the problem that the OP can't get the slides out mechanically. If the mechanical aspect of the slide is not working, the electrical side of things is a moot point.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #15

Quote:
If you had a Crank for your slides that will NOT extend by the switch,I doubt they are Hyd! Youroo!!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:21 AM   #16

when you hit the switch, does it make noise and just doesnt move or does it not do anything.....do you have a hydraulic fluid tank anywhere....
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #17

no noise, but until the functioning slide starting moving I didn't hear any noise from that one either. I did not see anything that looked like a hydraulic tank. I did read somewhere that a lady put her functioning one back in and then the others worked, will try that...doesn't make much sense to me, but beggars can't be choosers. Oh and I did discover there was lots of resistance due to the fact the I should have been trying to crank out the slide from the opposite side that it is on....Lord I never knew I could feel so stupid.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Taking voltage readings etc, won't fix the problem that the OP can't get the slides out mechanically. If the mechanical aspect of the slide is not working, the electrical side of things is a moot point.
if you've read the OP's posts you can see he has zero knowledge of whats going on , even being able to move out manually has caused him issue .
Taking voltage reading is the first step which i knew seemed beyond him . but you can see in my post i recommend he call someone with experience and gain some knowledge .
Old 05-18-2016, 08:20 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
if you've read the OP's posts you can see he has zero knowledge of whats going on , even being able to move out manually has caused him issue .
Taking voltage reading is the first step which i knew seemed beyond him . but you can see in my post i recommend he call someone with experience and gain some knowledge .

My point wasn't necessarily directed towards you, but the fact remained that no matter how much everyone diagnosed the electrical, he still couldn't get the slides out manually. Which should be the first concern, making sure everything worked mechanically.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
slide, slide out