Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #1

2008 Sabre by Palomino

28 RETS
I want to replace the carpet in the living space and bedroom in this trailer. When I slide the slides in there is a black strip about 1 1/2" in from the wall under the slide on top of the carpet. My question is, is that a seal and needs to go back in? Do I need to remove the slide completely to do the job?
Thanks for any and all help
Bruce
Fishndaflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #2

you might inspect the bottom of the slide for wear. carpets come back really well after cleaning generally. you might consider this unless you deem it "done". carpets does replace well if done by someone "in the know". the slide was made for carpet so I always stay with carpet. cut pile, never loop for fairly obvious reasons

edit: ahem...your questions. look for loose seal underneath. slide should not require removal. use a carpet guy whos done them before. not a do it yourself job. imo
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #3

I hate carpet and that is the only reason for replacement. Thanks for the reply
Old 04-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Flush floor slide rooms do not any rollers etc. under them but rely on plastic strips on each end of the floor and a carpeting apron to protect the floor. If you remove the carpeting, there will be much more potential for damaging the floor when moving the slides.

I'm assuming that you plan to replace the carpeting with laminate or something similar? I would still re-install the black plastic strip across the floor in front of the slide and have a piece of carpeting you can place on the floor at each end of the slide room so that the plastic runners don't mark the floor when moving the slide room.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

Yes looking to go with Allure vinyl plank flooring. This strip runs the length of the slides.
Thanks Dave
Old 04-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #6

awesome. be sure to post back and let us know how it works out for you. preferrably on this thread...
Old 04-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #7

Thanks Crockett
Old 04-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #8

i just did vinyl plank flooring in my house. they had 2 thicknesses and i went with the thicker. stuff is hecka tough. i did the porch too. it does shrink in the cold. i was worried about debris in the cracks when cold eventually swelling up the edges but none to date. the installer used this blue glue that dries clear blue then install...that stuff is good. was good right over wood. i was thinking about carpet inverted under the edge attached in some fashion to ride the vinyl. ive seen what you want, done unsuccessfully a couple times. Dave is the go to guy here...I'm too conservative...lol
Old 04-25-2015, 07:48 PM   #9

Ok so I went ahead with the replacing the carpet with Allure flooring. The problem I was having trouble with was what to do with the plastic strip under the slide. So I cut the carpet about an inch and a half away from the edge of the inside of the slide floor. Folded the carpet under itself and stapled it to the floor in a straight line. Ran the flooring to that and let the carpet of the slide cover the joint. So I left the carpet and strip alone. Seemed to work out well, now if I can figure out how to post a pic I will. Thanks to all those who commented.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1430009314676.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	75239  
Old 04-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #10

New floor grates to come and now to do the stairs, bed, and bath
Old 04-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus