Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
Now a "Top Member"

2010 Wildcat Slide

Hi all. I finally remembered to ask this questions (damn getting old!!!). My slides work as follows:

Out - Big slide (living room), then small slide (bed).
In - Small slide, then big slide.

The problem is, on the way in with the big slide, sometimes the motor will just stop. No noise, no clunk, no bunk. Just stop. Sometimes it's about halfway in, but occasionally it will make almost all the way. Which happened to my wife once, and she thought the slide was all the way in. It was in my driveway, so other than having to clean the leaves out, no big deal.

So the question is, what might be the issue with the motor. Might it be overheating and shutting down? Something else? It will start up and finish the job after waiting a few seconds. But I'm afraid of it getting worse, or stopping altogether...at the worst time.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:07 AM   #2

If the motor is heating up and electric motors can generate heat, heat increases electrical resistance. Electrical resistance will reduce electric current flow though the motor and therefore reduce electrical magnetism to create the turning force of the motor. If cooling increases current flow, so will magnetic force and the ability of the motor to do work. I would measure the battery voltage at the motor right before it stops if possible to see if it is increasing or decreasing. An increase in battery voltage could indicate electrical resistance in the motor as it draws less current and produces less power. A decrease in battery voltage could indicate the slide is stalling due to binding of the slide mechanism, causing the motor to draw more electric current until it can no longer move the slide. If the batteries are weak, and recharge somewhat over time to finally retract the slide, it could be the higher electric current from the batteries allows the motor enough grunt to get the slide all the way in. Checking and cleaning all motor electrical connections are likely in order.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

Checkout my slide motor failure from FR3 sub-forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Hi all. I finally remembered to ask this questions (damn getting old!!!). My slides work as follows:

The problem is, on the way in with the big slide, sometimes the motor will just stop. No noise, no clunk, no bunk. Just stop. Sometimes it's about halfway in, but occasionally it will make almost all the way. Which happened to my wife once, and she thought the slide was all the way in. It was in my driveway, so other than having to clean the leaves out, no big deal.

So the question is, what might be the issue with the motor. Might it be overheating and shutting down? Something else? It will start up and finish the job after waiting a few seconds. But I'm afraid of it getting worse, or stopping altogether...at the worst time.
Please read about my slide motor failure from FR3 sub-forum:
Stuck in my Driveway with a dead living room slide motor
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Well, a loose or "old" connection would be nice. Mine has been working fine for the last 8 years. And I got no "click" or anything. The slide would be coming in, then just stop. Silence. Wait a few seconds, then it would work like nothing was wrong.

Robert, am I seeing correctly? Your slide motor is at the top of your slide? I'm not sure where mine is, but I'm sure it's at the bottom, and I think outside of the slide (on the bottom, under the slide). Anyone with a 2010 Wildcat that can confirm that until I can look and see, I would appreciate it.

Anyway, I'm kinda dead in the water until I get a new truck. See my other post for an update on my "Weekend started good...".
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post

Is this an accuslide system . cable ? is so it could be the extend cables are to tight and the motor is limiting out .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, slide, wildcat