Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

2011 3100 sunseeker slide out gear off track problem

The screw which holds the gear to the motor shaft came out and is missing. The gear shifted off the track on one slide of the slide out. See picture below.
Would someone know how to fix this?
Newbie, first post.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1534.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	189975
Thank you Geoff
gldean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #2

Testing
Old 10-26-2018, 06:35 AM   #3

Don't have you particular model/rig, but from photos it looks like a simple repair.
First get the proper set screw. Photo looks like there is another one there, so match it up.
It looks like you only have to raise the slideout an inch or two to slide the gear back to where it meshes with the track. Heavy duty bench and a small bottle jack would be my first choice.
Block of wood on top of the jack piston to distribute weight and raise slide just enough to slide gear.
I would use some red Locktite, at minimum blue Locktite to prevent screws from backing out again.
Be aware that it takes Locktite 24 hours to fully cure.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:56 AM   #4

Hi Grumpy, thanks for the responds. I have a 2011 forest river sunseeker 3100ss sofa and dinette slide out. Iam going to remove the other set screw to size it. Will try to lift and get the spur gear back under the rack. Good idea about the red locktite
Thank again
Old 10-26-2018, 07:16 AM   #5

Re-thinking my advise about the Locktite...I would use the Blue Locktite.
To remove the Red Locktite you need heat, like a small hand held torch. That gear assembly looks like it's under something (couch?) so if something happens again it would be almost impossible to heat that gear to break the Red Locktite bond.
If me, I would use the Blue Locktite.
Grumpy

Old 10-26-2018, 07:26 AM   #6

Ok, I will.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #7

You didn't state, and hard to tell from your photo if slide is in or out. My bench/jack was if slide was out.
If it's in, you just need to somehow raise the slide just enough to slide the gear back into the track. Maybe a long prybar with a piece of wood under it to protect floor. Then try to leverage slide up just enough to slide gear. Possible need a second helper.
Grumpy

Old 10-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #8

Hi Grumpy, the slide can go in and out with me assisting the effort on the side that the spur gear is off.
I’ve been busy trouble shooting another problem the power gear leveling system stopped working this morning. Pads are up. The leveling system control box is bad. Power goes in, but not out. Lippert confirmed the problem with me. Ordered new board. Waiting on a friend to help me with the slide out.
Thanks for your help in this.
Geoff
Old 10-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Don't have you particular model/rig, but from photos it looks like a simple repair.
First get the proper set screw. Photo looks like there is another one there, so match it up.
It looks like you only have to raise the slideout an inch or two to slide the gear back to where it meshes with the track. Heavy duty bench and a small bottle jack would be my first choice.
Block of wood on top of the jack piston to distribute weight and raise slide just enough to slide gear.
I would use some red Locktite, at minimum blue Locktite to prevent screws from backing out again.
Be aware that it takes Locktite 24 hours to fully cure.
Grumpy

X2

Grumpy has it right, use Loctite on the set screws and a wooden block to spread the weight when lifting the slide.

Also check for a machined flat or small hole on the drive shaft, there may be one or not but check and if so it will align with one of the screws for additional security.

Check for any other slide gears missing screws or loose while you are at it.

Geoff (the other one)
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #10

Hi, thanks for the info, there is a machine flat on the drive shaft for the Allen screw to fit.

Tags
2011, slide, slide out, sunseeker