Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #1

2013 Columbus 385bh slide-out

This is my first post here!

I am about to buy a 385bh Columbus by palomino. And I need your advise. When I was looking a the rv and the main slide out from outside and I noticed that the floor was not straight. It's wayvy right in the middle. The owner show me that the slid out was able to in & out without problems. It's look hard but I am a bit concern about that. Should it be a deal breaker or it's something I need to just make sure it's not getting worst? Sorry for my bad English
aCHadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #2

Here the picture if the bended slide out floor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411389999961.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	63277  
Old 09-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It appears that the unit is on a seasonal site. I would say that a good bit of weight has spent some time on that slide. Doesn't seem quite right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
It appears that the unit is on a seasonal site. I would say that a good bit of weight has spent some time on that slide. Doesn't seem quite right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thanks for the reply! Yes the unit is on a seasonal site. I don't know what to do I think I have a good price on it 43k Canadian dollar. But I don't what to have spend couple of thousands on that to be fix. We just had a really bad experience with our denali fifhtwheel. We don't want a another lemon nightmare. That coach look so nice. We don't know what to do.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

Another concern is that the caulking on the shower dome was cracked in 3 of the corners. I don't know for how long it's like that but I hope there's no leaking problems. I checks with my finger in the shower roof. Look hard. But the owner will have the dealer look from inside. I can't believe that when they doing maintenance they don't climb on the roof. I didn't buy the unit yet it is conditional of checking those 2 issues with the dealer....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411398663002.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	63296  
Old 09-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That definitely needs fixed, and FAST!!!!!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #7

Yes I know it may need a new dome. The corner's look bend. There's a seal tape puted under to stick and seal right? Hope it have do the job for now
Old 09-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCHadien View Post
This is my first post here!

I am about to buy a 385bh Columbus by palomino. And I need your advise. When I was looking a the rv and the main slide out from outside and I noticed that the floor was not straight. It's wayvy right in the middle. The owner show me that the slid out was able to in & out without problems. It's look hard but I am a bit concern about that. Should it be a deal breaker or it's something I need to just make sure it's not getting worst? Sorry for my bad English
Sounds like the plywood is separating.Could be from a water leak somewhere. They could have fixed the leak and that's what it caused. Ask for a credit to have the floor repaired and replaced. You don't want to start off with a problem. If it's wavy now it will not get any better more then likely worst.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just out of curiousity, were either of the owners "husky" or "big boned" . If so, plopping down into the recliner (that's above the sagging area) and spending a good deal of time there, could account for bow in the floor.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #10

Lol. He is not very skinny, let's say around 250lbs. I noticed that they putted some caulking on all frameless windows. Are they suppose to do that?. Maybe problems they had or just precautions. That's what happen when you can't afford brand new Columbus. Heeheh thanks again
Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCHadien View Post
Lol. He is not very skinny, let's say around 250lbs. I noticed that they putted some caulking on all frameless windows. Are they suppose to do that?. Maybe problems they had or just precautions. That's what happen when you can't afford brand new Columbus. Heeheh thanks again
I like Aquaman was tiring to be PC the way he worded it..But I still think there was a leak somewhere, remember plywood is glued in layers and it water seeps in bingo. But also remember that is 3/4" plywood. Are those the only windows with caulking around them? If it is true sign of a leak. Even if they didn't find the leak at that point, most people just start caulking at places they think might be leaking. My one slide I have a stove, refer and couch, a lot more weight then two people sitting.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #12

No all the windows as been caulked! Just all the top of the frameless windows thought. The owner need to change the front black tank. There was a crack in it, palomino accepted to change the tank as a factory issue. The owner accepted to ask them to check the slide out floor. The problem is that coach is no longer on the warranty and I don't want to pay for it. Any idea how it can cost to change a side out floor like that? Thanks again
Old 09-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #13

My personal opinion is get a quote from rv wholesalers. You might be surprised at what a new unit, with warranty would cost
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, columbus, slide, slide out