Old 07-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #1

2014 Grey Wolf 26dbh oh boy

Bought a 2014 Grey Wolf 26dbh from a personal seller. Worried I have made a huge mistake. The slide has been extended and retracted around 10 times since we brought it home. We finally stayed in our new to us camper and low and behold when we packed up and unhooked I brought the slide in. It came in very little then stopped. Held the out button down then brought it in again. Got the slide in and towed the camper home. Now upon further investigation the upper gear track has signs of chipped "teeth". Followed the rubber seal down on the inside of the slide and found what appears to me as gear teeth from the spur gear. I'm worried that I just bought a lemon and I'm facing a huge expense before we even get to enjoy the camper. Any idea of what this is gonna cost to repair? I've read the lippert manuals from their website and i think I can handle the repairs myself as its not under warranty. Any help or information is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:44 PM   #2

pictures?

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

Sure! Now if I can figure out how to attach them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469242516405-1913220916.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	114978   Click image for larger version

Name:	1469242579907645850242.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	114979   Click image for larger version

Name:	1469242616147-1479328192.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	114980   Click image for larger version

Name:	14692426438051703210934.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	114981  
Old 07-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

From what I've gathered on the lippert website it's a tooth off the upper spur gear. However if the gear track so to speak is damaged it seems the only way to buy a new track is to buy the entire assembly for this side. I'm guessing that is gonna be very expensive.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjustin View Post
Bought a 2014 Grey Wolf 26dbh from a personal seller. Worried I have made a huge mistake. The slide has been extended and retracted around 10 times since we brought it home. We finally stayed in our new to us camper and low and behold when we packed up and unhooked I brought the slide in. It came in very little then stopped. Held the out button down then brought it in again. Got the slide in and towed the camper home. Now upon further investigation the upper gear track has signs of chipped "teeth". Followed the rubber seal down on the inside of the slide and found what appears to me as gear teeth from the spur gear. I'm worried that I just bought a lemon and I'm facing a huge expense before we even get to enjoy the camper. Any idea of what this is gonna cost to repair? I've read the lippert manuals from their website and i think I can handle the repairs myself as its not under warranty. Any help or information is greatly appreciated.
Had same problem in my 2014 27RR.....bottom left and right of slide (interior facing naugahyde covered verticle steps with two "Buttons" were rubbing hard on floor) impeding retraction....I removed buttons, screws, naugahyde ( just enough staples ) and cut 3/8 inch off bottom of both tofree up travel and friction. I loved this trailer but towing it on Nevada 95 it and my new f250 diesel were blown off the road in VERY HIGH WIND ...everthing destroyd and wife and I spent 6 weeks in Reno's Renown hospital. Next week I get vertebrae surgery n maybe get right arm back again....Drive safe...juice
Old 07-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #6

Oh my, hate to hear that. This is our first experience with a travel trailer and I'm on edge every time I tow it. Were you able to purchase the slide parts individually or did you have to buy the entire assembly? Having trouble finding the gear track that attaches to the side of the slide room.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #7

So here's what I've found on my slide. There are 5 rollers under the slide that carry the weight. The schwintek system is designed to move the slide in and out, not to support any weight. 3 out of 5 of the rollers have weight on them right now with the slide half way out. One of them turns freely with no weight on it. Another roller has some weight but I can turn the roller with some pressure. I did however find what I believe is causing the slide to jam. The "wiper" seal that runs under the slide has 2 places that are torn. Right behind the roller and in my opinion that seal has passed between the roller and the slide causing the entire slide to shift putting alot of work on the left side where I've found the bad gear and gear track. Also I'm gonna remove the trim pieces on the inside to avoid hurting my flooring inside the trailer. Definitely gonna remove the 3/8" like mentioned above as well.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #8

I suppose this is what is wrong that's chewing up the aluminum gear track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469386855120-1794823592.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	115111  
Old 07-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #9

Just got off the phone with lippert. $398 including tax and overnight shipping. Comes as a repair kit and the gear tracks will have to be cut to fit. Expensive but doing the work myself has saved me hundreds. Let's just hope I've got whatever caused it fixed before chewing up another gear set.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #10

Pretty sure I have found and eliminated the problem that caused catastrophic failure of my slide mechanism. A single aluminum rivot. The rivot front was missing when I first disassembled the mechanism. I now see exactly where the back part of the rivot goes when it comes out. Straight into the top spur gear and eventually through the aluminum gear rail. You can bet upon assembly and on each use I will check that all rivets are in place.

Tags
2014, grey wolf