Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Kentucky

2015 FR3 motorhome-slide out trouble

Got my motor home last year. On preparing to close up from first trip at campground, bedroom slide wouldn’t move. Had to manually close slide. Got home and tried slide and it worked the next day. Motor tends to lock up only when fully extended, never when in. Doesn’t do it all the time. Warm, hot or cold weather doesn’t matter. Not sure if there’s some maintenance (oil) that would help short of replacing motor? It’s getting frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.
64pmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. When ever a slide doesn't seem to work correctly the first thing I check is the coach batteries then the motor connections to ensure both are at 100%. From there I would move to the switch itself There is slide lube designed for the slide operating gear that can help.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
Kentucky

Thanks. Batteries are good, changed out switch. Just scratching my head. Thought maybe I was extending it too far causing issue. Backed slide in just slightly (unnoticeable to the naked eye) and problem eased up over last fall through this summer but it reappeared this weekend.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #4

Slides going in or out only need to depress the slide gasket about 50% they don't have to fit tight to the rig for proper operation and sealing.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #5

We had the same experience, until....

We have a 2016 FR3 and had the same thing occurring in the sofa slide-out. After replacing the gearbox, our service department gave us a way of avoiding that experience again. Our service person said to listen for the change in gearbox sound right before it comes to a halt (going out all the way OR coming in all the way) and to stop the slide-out at that point, to avoid binding the gears. It has now been 2 years and we haven't had a problem since. Good luck with your FR3!
RonIn NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
Kentucky

May have worsened. First time to check since arriving home yesterday and now won’t open for the first time!
Old 10-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64pmw View Post
May have worsened. First time to check since arriving home yesterday and now won’t open for the first time!
Have had same trouble. Almost guarantee it is gearbox. The gearbox is notorious for failure, the teeth in the gearbox strip and you now likely have more than one stripped tooth, possibly two side by side as you are finding your slide is getting worse. Replaced my bedroom gearbox and the new ones are upgraded and supposedly stronger. I purchased an extra one and pack it with me just in case dinette slide fails.

Isn't it fun getting at the mechanism to repair? As an afterthought, before taking motor and gearbox out check the electrical connections, I have heard where they can sometimes come loose. Seeing as how it wont go out now it could be motor.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #8

If you have any questions regarding re&re of gearbox and motor post it here and I will monitor it and try to help. Did my own repair and adjusted cables on both slides so I know how they work. If you google Bal Accuslide and download the manual you can get the knowledge as how to replace motor and gearbox without having to mess with cable adjustments.

Tags
fr3, motorhome, slide, slide out