Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #1

Exclamation 2020 Coachmen APEX 293RDLS

We purchased a new 2020 Coachmen APEX 293RDLS last month. We took delivery and towed to our site to set up. We left to go purchase some items and came back to find it raining outside, and more troubling inside our trailer. We took it back to the dealer the next day. The short version is after a day of searching one of the service technicians discovered the factory failed to install the flashing on both the slides. They repaired it and dried everything out using the warranty. This was not a ONE time issue. The dealer checked two more 2020s and they both were missing the flashing. Make sure if you are in the market you VERIFY the flashing is in place before taking delivery. If it is not there from the factory installation and the dealer installed it your potential purchase has probably been soaked. Be careful.
usarmyretiredsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #2

Most folks buying for the first time have not heard of this forum and have no real idea of what to look for when taking delivery of a new rig, like the flashing on the slide. You have provided a good heads up for those thinking that type of rig or any new unit.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:56 AM   #3

2020 Apex 279RLSS

Great post!! Brand new member.

We just purchased a 2020 279RLSS and had it set up at the house here in Florida. One of our very heavy afternoon rains came and we noticed that the rear carpet under the recliners was soaked. I traced the water to the rear wall od the slide, but mine was coming from the roof line. Partially due to the amount of rain we received, but also I found that the roof rubber seal/wipe has a chunk missing out of it, allowing water to run right in. I have emailed the customer service folks at Forest River, with no response.

Is this the "flashing" that you refer to?

Is replacing the seal a simple task? Or will it need to sit in the dealer for 3 months waiting?

Is a slide out awning recommended?

Any and all advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jerry
Jerry.Grocholski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #4

Flashing

Your problem definitely sounds related to the flashing, cannot tell without pictures. The dealer kept ours for one week when doing the flashing so it could be water tested. I do not know how hard the install was since we did not watch but I cannot imagine it was too difficult. I hope you get them to correct this because it is clearly a manufacture problem and a warranty issue.
usarmyretiredsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #5

Thanks for the input and reply, I will keep you posted.

I attached a few pictures for reference.

Best regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190630_162254951_HDR.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	208913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190630_162305429_HDR.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	208914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190630_162324055.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	208915  
Jerry.Grocholski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #6

It may hurt a little to have to let your rig sit at the dealer but I would recommend that you have them replace the seals so there is a paper trail for you to refer to later if needed. Slide toppers are a real plus (not to solve leaks, topped or not the slide should not leak) for keeping leaves and such off the roof of the slide that can damage the seal plus protecting from the sun. I installed my own it is a DIY with two or three people. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen