Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #1

2604WS slide questions

I've got a few questions about the slides and setting up at the campground. I know there is lots of generic advice on this forum but I'm looking for specifics for the 2604WS. A little back ground info and then the questions. Firstly, all the campgrounds up here in Canada, at least those that we frequent do not have "hard" sites. They are of the grass variety and not particularly level. The procedure of leveling isn't a problem but the soft earth is.
OK. When we get parked we ensure we're level L/R, disconnect and level front to back. So far pretty normal. We have found that we need to have the driver(left) side a bit higher than the passenger(right) side. To compensate for the weight of the slides. Again pretty normal.

Question 1. Do you extend the stabilizers before the slides go out or after?

Question 2. Do you use additional frame support to compensate for the inherent lean caused by the weight of the slides and the fact that the stabilizers tend to "settle" into the ground.

Question 3. Has anyone used "slide supports" for short periods of time, ie a week or two to help eliminate the settling and shake?

I'm finding that I'm using too much force on the left side stabilizers to compensate for the lean. Also, there is a lot of shake in the unit that we never had in our 2304. The unit is chocked front and back on both sides and I use wheel locks on both sides. There is no front to back movement, just the annoying side to side movement and the settling to the driver side.

So, how do I keep it level and get rid of the side to side shake?
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

I set all 4 stabilizers and then put out the slides. Due to the weight of the slides, and/or settling on soft ground, I usually have to tighten up the non-slide side once everything is set up. I try to make the slide side a little high so I'm level after slides are out.

I use X-chocks, but have notice this trailer "wiggles" more than our 2502s did. I thought about adding some more stabilizers, but decided it really isn't that bad. I'm a big guy, and I'd rather the energy from my steps had a place to go rather than pounding the heck out of the floor structure. Energy is dissipated through the tires and suspension, as well as, frame flex. Making the frame more rigid would increase the forces absorbed by the floor alone. At least that's my thoughts on the subject....
2016 - 47 nights
2017 - 47 nights
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2604, slide