Old 10-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #1

2nd trip out

DW and I took our new Columbus out this past weekend for our 2nd trip. On Sunday morning after packing everything to leave we went to pull in the slides, 2 of them came in the third, motor would run but nothing happened. Tryied to hand crank with no luck. Called the salesman we bought from he said that he would take care of it. We had to leave the trailer at the RV park, not knowing when someone will be there to fix. We paid for another night thinking he would send someone out sometime Monday to pull in the slide and bring to shop for repair.

To make a short story long the manager of the shop called Monday morning stated that the actuator had sheared a pin. Stated it was one in a million mishap. Part has been ordered (hope it arrives quick as we have another trip planned end of October).

Just wandering if anyone else has had this issue.

On a side note the dealer we bought from I would highly recommend to anyone who is looking for an RV. He sent a mechanic out Sunday to pull in the slide and bring back to shop. I know he will bill FR but still I think he went above and beyond getting out to pick it up.

Thanks for your input

Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #2

That is pretty amazing to send out someone on a Sunday. Who is your dealer?

If it's the pin that hold the motor to the shaft then it has happened before. It would be a good idea to get a few extra pins from your dealer in case it happens again.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #3

We bought from Gauthier's in Lafayette, Jim one of the owners was our salesman. He great to deal with.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #4

Update on slide out

Went by the dealership yesterday to check on trailer. After talking with shop manager we walked back shop area and he showed me the part that had broke. I thought it was just a little motor, but to my surprise it was the big all thread rod that turns to pull in and push out the slide. Wish I would have taken a picture to post.

He said it had to be a defective part. The mechanic had to take it off and push the slide in by hand. So nothing I could have done to get the slide back in. Part ordered last week and should be completed in time for our Holloween trip.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

Columbus units use a (Ball Screw) system on their slides? Is this made by Lippert? Youroo!!
Old 10-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #6

Don't Know

I didn't ask that question, guess I should have. But he did say it was the all thread rod that broke. All I saw was a metal tube about 6 to 7 foot long, I assumed the all thread was in there. Might stop by next week and ask. He did say it was one in a million, maybe I should play the lottery this weekend
Old 10-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #7

I think they are talking about the Threaded rod that the stop can and adjustment nuts are located on. This rod is located on the end of the actuator assy. but the threaded rod does (NOT) turn. If it broke from the tube they must sell it as a complete assy. only! Youroo!!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #8

Thanks youroo, just spoke with the dealer, and that is exactly what it is, they ordered part on last week and hopefully will be in this week so we can take it out for our weekend Halloween trip

ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1413818919.644212.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	602.3 KB
ID:	65074
Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #9

Part came in yesterday, will be ready by the weekend, wife and I are looking forward for our next trip