Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #1

335RLT Slide out floor replacement

OK, I have a 2006 Sandpiper 335RLT 5th wheel.I am going to have to replace the floor in my bedroom slide (water intrusion). I replaced a section last year with the slide installed. I knew when I did it I was leaving rotten water soaked wood but I needed to go camping . Some of the water damage was already up into the paneling on the outboard side (at the head of the bed were the slide in hydraulic ram attaches.) I will be removing the slide and replacing the floor. I will NOT be going back with the OSB covered in Dacro(underbelly plastic). I am thinking of some sort of 3/4" plastic sheet or 3/4" marine plywood covered with a PVC sheet. Anyone done this project? Any suggestions? If I can get some help I will document the damage and step by step process with pics.
Hope I can get some help
Joel
canmannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

"canmannc"--I work for an Industrial Supply Co." after retiring from 38 years of Industrial Maintenance. A sheet of 3/4" plastic anything is going to be very expensive. A sheet of 3/4" marine plywood will be cheaper. But do you really need "marine grade" plywood? I'm betting you're thinking that marine grade will do better IF there is another leak. Find the cause of the leak first and repair that problem before you do anything else. The marine plywood will only lead to the water migrating somewhere else and causing further damages. NOW IF you're slide unit is mechanical and has the rollers which dig into the underside of the slide-out flooring: After replacing the floor measure the area the rollers roll on, length x width of the rollers. Go to a local sheet metal shop and inquire about a piece of 16 gauge black iron sheet metal which will be the length measured x the width of the rollers PLUS four inches (2" each side of the rollers). Place this sheet metal on the underside of the flooring so the rollers will roll only on the sheet metal and not your new wooden flooring. I had to replace my slide floor because the rollers dug into it so deep the slide would not work. This is how I made my repair and now the slide extends and retracts much nicer. I don't think all slides have these rollers, but if yours does--this works.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #3

Sandpiper 335RLT Bedroom Slide Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"canmannc"--I work for an Industrial Supply Co." after retiring from 38 years of Industrial Maintenance. A sheet of 3/4" plastic anything is going to be very expensive. A sheet of 3/4" marine plywood will be cheaper. But do you really need "marine grade" plywood? I'm betting you're thinking that marine grade will do better IF there is another leak. Find the cause of the leak first and repair that problem before you do anything else. The marine plywood will only lead to the water migrating somewhere else and causing further damages. NOW IF you're slide unit is mechanical and has the rollers which dig into the underside of the slide-out flooring: After replacing the floor measure the area the rollers roll on, length x width of the rollers. Go to a local sheet metal shop and inquire about a piece of 16 gauge black iron sheet metal which will be the length measured x the width of the rollers PLUS four inches (2" each side of the rollers). Place this sheet metal on the underside of the flooring so the rollers will roll only on the sheet metal and not your new wooden flooring. I had to replace my slide floor because the rollers dug into it so deep the slide would not work. This is how I made my repair and now the slide extends and retracts much nicer. I don't think all slides have these rollers, but if yours does--this works.
Thanks for the suggestion Thurman. Yes the 3/4/" Marine Board 27" x 96" is $175 plus $140 shipping. However it would be there forever. But you are also correct...if I can seal it properly and keep it sealed anything would last. Now I am planning on using 3/4" treated plywood ($30) with a sheet of Panolam 1/8-in x 4-ft x 8-ft White Fiberglass Reinforced Wall Panel from Lowes ($33) glued to the bottom. This is what is used on the bottom of my friends Eagle 5'er slides. Looks good and is very durable. I just need to find really good contact cement to glue it on. It will be trapped all around the edge with molding. My Sandpiper does not have rollers under the slide, it has a plastic strip the full length attached to the camper. This works really nice to eventually rip the plastic Darco (existing stuff under there now) to shreds.

I'll post pics when I start the repair. I have a trip to Maggie Valley 29 June first .
Thanks again, Joel
canmannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #4

I am having issues with my floor rollers ( 2 nd trip in new unit) they are scraping the underside on the slide. It is in the shop right now to find our the problem causing the rollers to drag. I am just worried that they will report back that this is not under warrenty and its my fault. If do, what can it do to prevent further damage and water migration.
Thurman if you could reply or send me a PM would great.
Turtle people is offline   Reply With Quote