Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #1

Smile 5th wheel slider problems

I just purchased a 2003 29 cardinal 5th wheel from private owner. Very well cared for, we really are thrilled with unit. The problem I'm having is when operating both slides either in or out. The slides are operated by hydraulics. Fluid is up, no leaks. When operating slides the bedroom slide goes first, but only goes out about 6 inches then stops, I wait about 30 seconds, the slide goes out another 6 inches then stops, this continues with both slides until they are finely out. same thing happens when bringing slides in. The previous owner said that the 50amp self resetting breaker is reading 49 to 51 amps when operating slides. Breaker blows then resets. He said a dealer told him to put in a latger breaker, but was unable to find one, I think there must be some other problem. Anyone have a similar problem? Thanx-Dave
DAVID-DEBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #2

The first thing I would do is look at all the electrical connections. If tight and clean then look at all the connectors. Wiggle all the wires at the connectors an make sure none are lose. If still pulling to many amps then I would get a new 50 amp breaker. I would not get larger because that is what it's there for. If it still does it them I'm going to say the motor on the pump is getting weak going bad. I would also lube all the room guides and slide mechanical moving parts.
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #3

I would suspect the Pump not the slide themselfs because pump would bypass fluid thru pressure relief before problem with slide moving if pump is tripping the breaker the pump itself is possibly bad or somebody could of put wrong oil in it shoud be a ATF type or a light hydraulic oil. Could also be bad breaker I would check the what the motor nameplate says for running amps also to see if the breaker is rated right you can put two breakers side to side and wire them in parellel to increase amps. Also don't lube slide rails with grease or oil only a dry type lube or you will invite dust and dirt into the system.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel