Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #1
Just as confused as you

Actuator through frame holes

While looking for ways that critters can get in, which seems to be a never ending battle, I noticed a few problems with the slides. I hope you can follow what I am getting at. I am at the campground now getting ready to close for the season on Saturday and the rain is not cooperating. So please bear with me as the WiFi is not the greatest.

My TT has 3 Lippert Electric Through Frame Slide-Outs and the underbelly is enclosed. I noticed each actuator tube (1-3/4" dia.) comes through approximately 3" hole in the frame. The problem with these holes is they are exposed when the slide is out making it a easy way for mice and chipmunks to get into the underbelly. There are marks in the paint on the frame where the Stop-Cans (Pic #1) rest when the slides are closed. Stop-Can diameter is 3" . I noticed that when the slides are in that 2 of the Stop-Cans do not completely cover the holes in the frame also allowing critters a way into the underbelly. Keep in mind the biggest problem is during camping season from mid-April to mid-October when the slides are extended all the time.

The bedroom slide Stop-Can pretty much covers the hole when it's closed. Bedroom Slide frame hole is 3-1/8" and leaves a slight < 1/16" gap at the top (Pic #2).

The Dining/TV slide Stop-Can is fine top to bottom but it leaves a 1/8" gap on the side (Pic #3).

The biggest problem is with the Kitchen/Sofa slide. The hole in the frame is 3-3/8" top to bottom. When the slide is closed there is 3/16" gap at the top (Pic #4).

My idea is I have some 5/32" thick conveyor belting that is made with 3 layers of fiberglass cloth impregnated with plasticized rubber (Pics #5 & #6). The belt has a fiberglass layer on both sides with the 3rd fiberglass in the middle. My thought is to cut a hole in the belting to clear the actuator tube and attach it to the frame. The extra thickness of the belt can be allowed for by adjusting the Stop-Can and jam nut (Pg 15.pdf). My question is does anyone have an idea what type of adhesive I can use to hold the belting to the frame so the holes are closed whether the slides are in or out?

One thing I think may be a problem with gluing it to the frame is if the actuator tube moves up or down as the slides are being extended/retracted. There shouldn't be any side to side movement. What do you guys think?

I am going to cut Stainless scouring pads so they fit around the actuator tube for this winter but I'm thinking about how large the openings are during camping season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Stop Can.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	188826   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Bedroom.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	188827   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Dining-TV.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	188828   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Kitchen-Sofa.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	188829   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 FG-Plastic Belt.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	188830  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 5-32in belt.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	188831   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Fiberglass-Plastic Belt.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	188832  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pg 15.pdf (641.7 KB, 26 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

I guess nobody has an idea or I'm the only one with this problem. This is a 2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite and Rockwood has an identical model.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #3

We had an actuator fail on our 2018 831CLBSS last week when we were packing up to go home from a local state park. We had the dealer send a technician to get us going. So I am seriously looking at the whole system for the slide outs. This thread has given me some more things to think about. So when I get a chance to get back under our unit, I'll let you know my thoughts. But I am thinking about what I can do.

Gary.

Tags
frame