Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #1

Alternate to slide awning covers?

My trailer has a single 12 foot slide on the one side. I have been very thorough at cleaning and wiping it off before closing it at the end of every trip, but would ultimately love to install a slide topper awning. Priced them out for a 12 foot slide and ... ouch.$$$.. $500.00 plus... and I'm in Ontario, so add another $200.00 exchange... It's $700.00 or more that I dont have to spend right now......

Question is... has anyone found or made up a simple, less expensive version? Wife says I don't get to spend any more $$ on the trailer, but I'm pretty good at custom work. Is it possible to make a simple pull out style? Even a "giant" version of a roller blind? Basically, thats all they are....

I am open to any creative suggestions....
Old 02-02-2016, 06:16 AM   #2

Have you tried to find a camper salvage yard? That might be a option especially if you are able to take one off a camper yourself. Good luck and I might be going that route as well as my old Jayco had one and the Wildcat is in need of two.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingdreamer View Post
My trailer has a single 12 foot slide on the one side. I have been very thorough at cleaning and wiping it off before closing it at the end of every trip, but would ultimately love to install a slide topper awning. Priced them out for a 12 foot slide and ... ouch.$$$.. $500.00 plus... and I'm in Ontario, so add another $200.00 exchange... It's $700.00 or more that I dont have to spend right now......

Question is... has anyone found or made up a simple, less expensive version? Wife says I don't get to spend any more $$ on the trailer, but I'm pretty good at custom work. Is it possible to make a simple pull out style? Even a "giant" version of a roller blind? Basically, thats all they are....

I am open to any creative suggestions....
Yes,let Her climb up and clean the Top of slide to remove Leaves,Pine needles,sticks,Snow,or better yet be up there wiping off all the Water during a Rain storm before closing the slide! She will allow you to put on a Cover! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Yes,let Her climb up and clean the Top of slide to remove Leaves,Pine needles,sticks,Snow,or better yet be up there wiping off all the Water during a Rain storm before closing the slide! She will allow you to put on a Cover! Youroo!!
Ha! You havent met my wife!! Nice thought though....
Old 02-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #5

Just heard that one of our Frog members is in Intensive care in Fla,from a Roof cleaning fall! Something to think about! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Just heard that one of our Frog members is in Intensive care in Fla,from a Roof cleaning fall! Something to think about! Youroo!!
Ya, not keen on climbing up each time... I have a telescopic ladder (best purchase I ever made!) that I use... Plan on running this trailer down the road for another 9 seasons before it gets parked and really want to find a lower cost alternative...
Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #7

I took mine out once and had to sweep.. I just bought them after that ..

Kim and Scott.
Charlie,Hank,and Tater our dogs.
Live and Learn
2016-10 days camping so far

Tags
awning, cover, slide