Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #1

anyone have slide out issues

Hello everybody first post here. I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me on my slide out. I have the 29 BHBS. it was purchased new in febuary and has been sitting untouched for 3 months. I went to slide the living room out and it wouldnt go out. just a bunch of grinding noise. I had my wife hit the rocker switch while i looked underneath and nothing seemed out of sort any tips would be appreciated. thanks.
kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
Hello everybody first post here. I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me on my slide out. I have the 29 BHBS. it was purchased new in febuary and has been sitting untouched for 3 months. I went to slide the living room out and it wouldnt go out. just a bunch of grinding noise. I had my wife hit the rocker switch while i looked underneath and nothing seemed out of sort any tips would be appreciated. thanks.

Hi and welcome.

Was your battery fully charged? Low battery may cause the issue .
Have you been in touch with your dealer?
Sounds like it is a warranty issue.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:54 PM   #3

You could also check for a loose or broken wire (either ground or live wire will do this). I have experienced both these issue on our unit and it is not a year old yet. Just over and under tightening issues on the factory floor, nothing too serious. Old Guys
Old 08-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #4

It most likely is battery related one way or another. I would check to make sure the battery is fully charged. If you have not had the unit plugged in for the three months its most likely a dead battery. You could then check (if you have one) the battery cut off switch. Its a switch of some sort that is a disconnect for the battery to the 12v items in the trailer. Look at fuses
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #5

If you have a grinding noise look for metal shavings, it sounds like a mechanical problem.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I have a different tac

The grinding noise could be the gear and rack mechanism slipping like it is supposed to when at "end of travel" to avoid burning up the motor.

If the slides have been closed for a long time the seals could be stuck to the walls. The motor torque is just turning the gears and not moving the slide.

Try getting a plastic cake spatula and "carefully" run it arund the slide to try and break the seal loose without tearing it.

Then try the motor again.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #7

Herk I think you hit the nail on the head. Just got off the phone with the dealer and they said the same thing. Thanks for all the input guys the Internet is an awesome tool.
kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:53 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The grinding noise could be the gear and rack mechanism slipping like it is supposed to when at "end of travel" to avoid burning up the motor.

If the slides have been closed for a long time the seals could be stuck to the walls. The motor torque is just turning the gears and not moving the slide.

Try getting a plastic cake spatula and "carefully" run it arund the slide to try and break the seal loose without tearing it.

Then try the motor again.
we had this same issue with our slide. the main cause was not having a slide topper. we thought we could get by without one but we camp in wooded campgrounds and the result was sap/residue gluing the slide to the side of the trailer.

since we had a slide topper installed, we've never had this problem again.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote