Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Awnings or ladder and a broom

I was considering putting awnings over my slides (3). Then a friend mentioned that their awnings made a buffeting sound when the wind was blowing, preventing his wife from sleeping.

That made me think, that it's not such a bad idea to have a broom and a ladder to clean the slide before retracting, plus there is much less to go wrong.

Opinions/experience?
alledlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Always Learning

This is one of those long debated things.

I have them and like them and personally have never experienced flapping noises. (That's not to say they don't flap in the right situation- they do and people have reported it; but I'd say the majority of what I've read say it's not a problem often enough to not have them.) I'd gladly buy them again.

Others haven't had them and see no point in them (i.e. ladder and broom is fine) and have a list of reasons why not.

I've only read a very small handful of times that someone had them and would NOT have them again.

I've read often that people haven't had them, added them and will have them again.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

I was wondering the same thing, I can not sleep when the rain is pounding on the roof of the slide out, and it rains here a lot! I have heard that the topper will help eliminate the sounds of the rain, just not sure if it is worth the expense......
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Hey

From someone who has them the question is simple. Do you camp where there is an abundance of tree debris falling on your slide, if yes then get the toppers.

If your camping in CG or Parks and the tree debris is no concern then the next question is wind. I live near the water and have wind speeds of 20mph or better...the higher the wind the more the toppers move. In really high winds I have had to pull in the slides as the toppers will bang against the side of the slide.

Hope this helps..!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMattox View Post
I was wondering the same thing, I can not sleep when the rain is pounding on the roof of the slide out, and it rains here a lot! I have heard that the topper will help eliminate the sounds of the rain, just not sure if it is worth the expense......
I still hear the rain. Especially on our bedroom slide which the slide is just the bed and isn't very tall.

Can't tell you how much different it would be without the topper, though. I've only ever had it.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Camper Less Camping

I always use the broom @ ladder method, for me the best option & no fuss with slide toppers as others have posted

Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #7

Yes, they sometimes will flap in high winds but...
When it rains, you don't hear it over your slides,
When it rains, it is just a little more protection from leaks around your top slide seals and water does not puddle..
When it is hot, helps keep the sun off the slide roof and RV cooler,especially if you have a super slide...
Keeps debris from trees off your slide and out of your slide seals..
But then again they are pricey and just one more thing to go wrong.
I have them and like them.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #8

I have the slide topper on my slide out. So far so good. No issues with the noise. First time I have had them on my slide out. One of those things I wanted to try. I like Puff's take on it. If I lived or camped in a really windy area majority of the time, I may reconsider having them if that was an issue. My main slide out is the living/kitchen area. Would hate to have to bump it in due to wind.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #9

I think I will do without for awhile. Thanks for the quick responses.
alledlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Site Team

never ever had anything like that happen with our 14' slide topper.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote