Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Senior Senior Member

Bedroom slide on new TT

Greetings,

Just got back from a three day orientation stay at a local county park. We recently purchased this camper and wanted to check everything out. Three days doesn't tell you everything but we have a high level of satisfaction with our new camper at this point.

That is except for something I spotted today as we were getting things around to come home. I crawled under the rear slide just to see how the single ram contacted the slide unit. I was surprised to see what appeared to be a small amount of damage to one of the aluminum cross-members. Like something had hit it and dented it... nothing too serious just unexpected. But what does concern me is that the slide ram (hope that's the name) is terminated at a bracket under the slide and it appears bent and is held to the slide by only two bolts on the extreme ends which seems to allow the unsupported middle part to give as the slide goes in and out.

Oh yes, we bought the camper in Iowa about 500 miles away. The local dealer did not have one and was unresponsive to our inquiries about one. Anyway, does any other Super V owner have a similar bedroom slide mechanism that's held in place only on the ends of the bracket? It has holes and slots for more bolts and I am considering adding some to shore up what looks like a weak connection.

The two years we camped with our Shadow Cruiser I was always nervous about a slide failure. There's not an easy fix if you do have one. That is one reason I liked the Flagstaff. It has a manual crank option in case of trouble.

During our walk through at the dealer last week before we paid for the camper. The technician showed us the holes on the opposite side of the trailer and the slotted crank that I could use in the event of a problem. Should have tried it out..... turns out that the crank he showed me is for the power stabilizer jacks.

Oh well, we did get it for a great price. And I did expect to take care of the small stuff anyway. Just a bit worried about the looks of the bedroom slide.

Regards to all, Mike
Old 07-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Have you looked in all the compartments for the hand crank? Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Have you looked in all the compartments for the hand crank? Later RJD
I think we explored all the possible hiding places. The back-up crank for the power jack and stabilizer jacks were both in the storage bay under the bed slide. There is one crank handle I could not pair with anything. It is smaller and has a small (maybe 5/16 inch) hex head socket. It was in the drawer under the oven. Which by the way is fantastic. Way larger than the one in our old TT. You can actually use it for something.

That being said, one issue with a front kitchen is the exhaust vent doe not vent outside. Would have been a nice touch to make the front vent in the trailer a power vent like in the bathroom.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, roo, slide