Old 08-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #1

Bedroom Slide-Out Lifts off the Floor

I have a 2000 Forest River Sierra. When I pull the bedroom Slide-out in, the foot of the bed lifts off the floor. Does anyone know if there are any adjustments that can be made to keep it down on the floor?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #2

I've owned 4 fivers in the last 18 years each of them had your issue from time to time. I never experienced any related problems. The slide pulls from the bottom and resistance to the bottom seals makes it rear up a bit at first then settle back down. As long as it seals both while in and out, I see no worries.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #3

Thanks dieselguy. The problem I am having is that the Slide-out creeps out during the winter 3-4 inches. I suspect that the weight of the bed is causing the slide-out to creep-out to relieve the pressure. When it creeps out the bed rests down on the floor again. I don't see any oil leaks anywhere. My main reason for asking the question is to prevent the slide-out from creeping out on its own. Would it help to put some blocks under the raised foot of the bed to support it or could this cause structural damage?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #4

If your slide creeps out over time, it's usually one of two things if you don't have a simple hose or fitting leak ... bad piston seal in the cylinder or bad check valve in your hydraulic pump. No slides should creep out ... So you're saying when the bed slide is retracted in all the way, the foot of your bed is off the floor?? If so, that isn't right. I thought you were talking about the foot of the bed rearing up a bit when you first start to bring the slide in but settling back down on the floor.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #5

Yes, the foot of the bed lifts off the floor about 1 1/2 inches (and stays this way) when the slide is fully retracted in. No, it doesn't rear up and settle back down. It slides in very smoothly on the floor, then lifts off the floor just as the slide completes its travel. So, there is nothing supporting the foot of the bed when it is fully retracted. It is just cantilevered out from the edge of the wall. Any idea of what may cause this and/or how it can be fixed?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #6

The bedroom slide is designed to lift off the floor when full "in" . The reason for this is to apply pressure to the top of the slide out against the trailer wall. Since the mechanism to move it in and out is all the way at the bottom there is no mechanism to pull the top tight against the side except the levered weight of the slide itself.
If it is dropping over time your Hydraulics have a leak.
The new schwintek slide system with cables at the top and bottom will ride level as it moves in and out. and the four cables will pull it shut against the side when properly adjusted.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

OK, Thanks hillsdaletc. I guess my hydraulics have a leak. I don't see any external leaks. Are the leaks internal? Do you know if it would be OK to put blocks under the foot of the bed? It seems like this would prevent the slide from creeping out.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdelcar1 View Post
OK, Thanks hillsdaletc. I guess my hydraulics have a leak. I don't see any external leaks. Are the leaks internal? Do you know if it would be OK to put blocks under the foot of the bed? It seems like this would prevent the slide from creeping out.
A block won't hurt at all. If you have no visible leak in the bedroom you may want to look at all the other lines. If your system is a sequential system bedroom slide first, then another slide etc. it is interconnected.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #9

I kinda sorta disagree with hillsdaletc ... I'm on my 5th fiver with a bedroom slide and have never had one that stays lifted off the floor at the foot of the bed. My current 2016 Silverback 33IK doesn't do it. It stays flat to the floor full travel. I'd go with the piece of wood under the foot of the bed until a more permanent fix occurs. Like said most all slides are hooked together in one big hydraulic loop. Any one slide cylinder with a bad piston seal will make the slide with the least resistance creep and that's usually the bedroom slide. Like also mentioned, a bad check valve in the pump assembly itself will also cause slide creep.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:03 PM   #10

Like I said, not all slides lift. But after working for more than 35 years on about every model of slide mechanisms there is out there and removing and replacing them in units I will tell you the seal at the top of the slide is kept tight by the weight of the slide hanging over the rollers on the big slides. And by the top of the slide hitting the side of the unit first and then pulled in at the bottom on the smaller bedroom slides. This is critical in keeping slides from leaking at the top.

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, roo, slide, slide out