Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #1

Before anything happens .......pics, how to put slide in?

I will be heading out in few days for a week. My slide workS fine, but out of curiosity, how do I put it in after it fails to retract. my trailer is two years old and I'm not worried, but don't want to browse the forums when it gets stuck out. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408904653341.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	61357
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1408904677104.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	61358
Old 08-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

I believe that's a schwintech mechanism. Unless you have an opening for a hand crank on the opposite side, I think the correct way is to disconnect power to the site motor, physically push the slide in, then reapply power. I may be wrong though, so others will chime in
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I believe that's a schwintech mechanism. Unless you have an opening for a hand crank on the opposite side, I think the correct way is to disconnect power to the site motor, physically push the slide in, then reapply power. I may be wrong though, so others will chime in
no opening , but yes pull power or remove/loosen motor screws and lift motor out of the way then push the slide in, you tube is your friend on how to do this

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #5

Mine has a small panel held in place with a couple screws. The crank access is inside.

Brian and his Girl Crew
5 bikes - one top tube
Rig: 2004 Excursion 6.0 PSD + 2009 Salem 27' TT
b_garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #6

Old 08-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_garage View Post
Mine has a small panel held in place with a couple screws. The crank access is inside.
you have a schwintech slide out and it has a crank?? never heard of that, take pict and i would like to see how it is attached to the motors (yes 2 ea) mounted in the upper corners

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:00 PM   #8

In photo #2 notice the black material on the bottom of the slide. This is the same material that is on the bottom of my slide on my FR Grand Surveyor. Why do I bring this up? My unit has a "Lippert (or Lippet) under-sofa" mechanism that uses two six-inch long rollers for the slide to roll on when traveling in and out. That black stuff just does not work as a support for these (or any other) rollers. The rollers on mine had locked up and torn through that black stuff then dug into the plywood bottom of the slide. I had posted on this forum as to how I had to fix all of this.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #9

Thurman, thanks. I retract my slide three times a year before winter and twice when I go away with my kid I read your post before and will keep an eye on stuff. Thanks again
Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #10

Okay Gents, I'm new to all of this my slide is exactly as the one pictured in photo# 2 but I see no way to manually retract the slide, will some one please show the exact location of the manual override.

Thanks
SirArchie357 Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #11

came back from the.trip and everything worked as planned; )
Old 09-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #12

A "for what it's worth" comment: My slide has a Lippert "under sofa" unit that operates electrically (12vDC). But if something happens and one would need to manually operate the slide- -the drive unit is indeed under the sofa. You have to lay on the floor of the unit to reach it. There is a pin that has to be pulled which I believe dis-engages the drive unit, then there is a hex shaped protrusion that can be turned with a wrench or ratchet/socket. After I bought this unit I thought about manually moving the slide just in case I would ever need to do so. It takes a lot of turning this manual mechanism to get the slide to move and it's not easy. I did have somewhat of the opposite problem once. While returning home from a trip I noticed in my outside rear view mirror that my slide was out while going down the road at 60 MPH. I slowed down then stopped at the next place that was safe to do so and wound up literally pushing the slide back into place. I have no means of blocking the slide in the closed position so I just had to be careful getting home. It turns out that a shear pin had sheared within the drive unit itself. Not a bad job to replace it but I sure felt lucky to have made it on home.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide