Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

berkshire 390bh wardrobe slide pulley failure

my brand new 2013 berkshire had a catastrophic pulley failure last night. went to a bbq by the sheriff's dept, parked and leveled out. started to put the slides out one at a time. first the 3 hydraulic slides went out without a hitch. then the wardrobe slide which is a motor driven cable system. heard several loud popping noises mid slide out in fast succession. stopped immediately when i heard it. took a look where i thought i heard the noise from and there were bolts on the floor. my friend that was there outside said he sees the front of the slide room moving but not the back. i tried to move the room in carefully and slowly without luck. only the front side was moving.

later that night, i took the valance cover off the top and saw that the pulley mounting plate had been ripped off the wall it was mounted to. all 5 bolts ripped out of the aluminum wall where it was anchored. the cables that pull and push had their blocks intertwined. the cable to the bottom lower back corner was not moving at all. it was jammed tight in the pulley.

i had to remove the axle pin of the pulley to free it. from there, we were able use the motor and manually push the slide closed.

then off to the dealer we went and were disappointed in their response that they could not take a drop off on sunday morning when their service dept is closed. i understood they may not be able to work on it right away, but to deny a drop off on a brand new dp coach i just bought from them 2 weeks ago? where is the customer service?

ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #2

Himcules-

That really sucks! What dealer did you buy your coach from? I had one of the cables on my coach snap. I called FR and the manufacturer (was just out of warranty) and they told me that the cables are not warranted. Had to buy a cable and install it myself- a real big pain! Your situation sounds a lot worse than mine though.

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

Some dealers have rules they follow as to accepting units on Sundays, but they should have atleast let you park it there. Will be interesting on what caused the breakage. Let us know when you do. thanks
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #4

photos:

notice how the in and out blocks are entwined...

Old 05-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like it's going to be a PITA for the dealer to re-enforce the slide where it pulled out from. Would for sure inspect the work they do. Noticed in your profile your from Corona, grew up there years ago.
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #6

i just went out and took another close look.

looks like there are SEVERAL drilled holes. like it was misplaced the first time and the tech had to move it to the correct placement. you can see holes next to holes in the close up of the pulley bracket position.

the motor was also placed in the wrong place and moved. i have 4 drilled holes in the wall next to the motor mount. Look to the left of the motor in the 1st picture. you will see 4 holes right next to the motor there.

i'm very interested in how FR will respond to this.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Word of advice: you might want to check the bolts that hold the sofa in place on the kitchen slide as well.. A few months ago we discovered that they were pulling thru the floorboard and had to place metal squares for the bolts to go thru...

I believe FR didn't realize that they needed to reinforce all bolts that go thru the slides because the walls just aren't beefy enough to take the torque without it...
Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Word of advice: you might want to check the bolts that hold the sofa in place on the kitchen slide as well.. A few months ago we discovered that they were pulling thru the floorboard and had to place metal squares for the bolts to go thru...

I believe FR didn't realize that they needed to reinforce all bolts that go thru the slides because the walls just aren't beefy enough to take the torque without it...
did you experience a wall failure where the loveseat attaches to the wall? my loveseat sits on a lower shelf so it's not moving at all when the slide moves.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #9

No - only on sofa/kitchen slide.....
Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #10

slide is all fixed. dealer's tech and myself agreed on what the proper way to approach this issue was and he implemented it very well. we did have to wait for FR to authorize the work and send over a new set of cables.

here's a pic of the repair: