Old 01-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #1

Blowing fuses putting slides in and out

We have a 2016 Sandpiper 35ROK that we took delivery of new in 2015. We love the RV and have had very few issues with it. The unit has hydraulic slides and 6pt auto level that work off of the same hydraulic pump and reservoir. Starting last season we started having issues with the hydraulic pump blowing fuses every time we put the slides in and out. The slides come out in order using the same panel and we started pausing for a few seconds between each slide. This helps but we typically go through a couple of fuses setting up or taking down. Just curious if anyone else has or is experiencing this issue.
The reservoirs full and we donít usually have a fuse blowing issue when using the auto level.

dave Durkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #2

Try checking all of your slides for points that are causing excess friction while they are moving. It could be as simple as a little bit of lubrication on these friction points.

Bruce

Old 01-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #3

Is it blowing the control panel fuse or the auto-resetting (80 amp breaker) by the battery???

The slides are on a different fuse then the auto-level. What amperage fuse are you using??

Does the pump sound normal while moving the slides??

Off hand it sounds like a loose wire rubbed up against metal or is smashed against metal giving you an intermittent grounding or resistance issue between the slide switch and the pump. If you can figure out the wiring try to jumper power and bypass the switch at the pump to try it. It you don't pop a fuse then replace the wire from the switch to the pump.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Coach

We had a similar issue when we first purchased ours but ours only really happened during colder weather. Even though we were plugged into shore power, we traced the problem to a weak battery. Ours only came with one, so we swapped it out for a two battery set up and haven't had the issue since.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

Large Keystone Montanas have used a 40a self-resetting fuse/breaker for the leveling and slideout systems, and both are on the same circuit. Lippert has a service bulletin indicating the breaker can be upped to 80a. Perhaps the same applies to your unit.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #6

The fuse that is blowing is the on-line fuse near the hydraulic pump. It is a 15amp fuse that I bumped up to a 20 amp. Didnít help much, just delayed the blowing of the fuse by a bit.
It doesnít matter whether Iím on battery or shore power. The pump sound the same whether itís moving the slides or leveling the trailer.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
Is it blowing the control panel fuse or the auto-resetting (80 amp breaker) by the battery???

The slides are on a different fuse then the auto-level. What amperage fuse are you using??

Does the pump sound normal while moving the slides??

Off hand it sounds like a loose wire rubbed up against metal or is smashed against metal giving you an intermittent grounding or resistance issue between the slide switch and the pump. If you can figure out the wiring try to jumper power and bypass the switch at the pump to try it. It you don't pop a fuse then replace the wire from the switch to the pump.

The fuse that is blowing is in-line to the pump. Iíve lubed the slide rails.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #8

I had the same issue. I went to reset type fuse and problem stopped.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
I had the same issue. I went to reset type fuse and problem stopped.

Thanks Iíll try that
Old 01-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
We had a similar issue when we first purchased ours but ours only really happened during colder weather. Even though we were plugged into shore power, we traced the problem to a weak battery. Ours only came with one, so we swapped it out for a two battery set up and haven't had the issue since.
This^^^^^^^

Blowing fuses when operating high demand systems is usually caused by weak batteries. Doesn't matter if you are plugged in or not, it still uses your battery for these 12 volt systems which is assisted/charged by the converter. If the battery is low or has bad cells, it will cause fuse problems.

Also, auto reset fuses and resettable fuses can get weak themselves and need replacing. Not a concern with blade fuses.

We have the same systems. When I blow a blade fuse, I now know to check the batteries. Usually one is bad.

This last year I started having problems with an auto reset fuse block, not the blade fuse I was used to. Slide would come in a bit, stop. Wait a few seconds it would come in some more. Batteries were good. Rep!aced the auto reset fuse, no more problems.

NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, slide