Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 10:25 PM   #1

Blown slide out fuse

Since I bought my camper (last June), I have been using the two slideouts with 120V hookup. Yesterday, I pulled in the slideout without 120V (using battery only).
When in OK, they just stopped without the normal ratchet sound.
This morning I went to put them out using 120V, nothing would not go out, no sound. Both slideout 30A fuses were blown. I replaced both fuses and now working just fine on 120V. I put out and in slideouts 3 times without a problem on 120V. I checked the wiring, from what I could see, not touching anything. The only difference was not using 120V (battery only) when the fuses blew. This was the only time I have used the slideout with the battery and no 120V hookup. I have not tried the slideout on battery only since blowing the fuses.
Any ideas about blowing the fuses on battery power only? After blowing fuses, I checked the battery, thinking maybe it was low and it showed 12.9V with a voltmeter.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #2

May try your slides again on battery only & watch voltmeter while operating slides & see what the voltage is. If the voltage drops a lot, your battery is probably bad, & this could cause fuses to blow.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
May try your slides again on battery only & watch voltmeter while operating slides & see what the voltage is. If the voltage drops a lot, your battery is probably bad, & this could cause fuses to blow.
What he said!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:29 PM   #4

I will try the slideout while watching battery voltage. However, the slideout came in fine. It was at the end of the travel that the fuses blew. Instead of getting that ratcheting sound, the slide just stopped at end of inward travel.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #5

Again, watch your voltage. By the time it's all most all the way in, your voltage may be too low to pull it all the way in. Only thing I can think of. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #6

txredfih
Just wondering what you found with your issue blowing slide fuses. Hope you got it fixed.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:34 PM   #7

I have not yet tried the camper without the 120V and just the battery. When it blew the fuses, I checked the information panel and it showed 4 lights (battery full). I realize the best check would be to turn off 120V, hook up voltmeter and check. I do plan to do this. After blowing fuses, I replaced with the 30A that were in there. I have used the slide about 4 times since using 120V and no fuses blown. Very new battery (6 months) but that does not mean that it is still good. I wonder if dealer could have put in too small a battery. What size battery would be recommended for this application? Right now I am fighting some type of cold/virus. I will post the results. If I find out it is the battery, I will discuss with dealer and FR.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #8

12.9 is not a fully-charged battery but may still light the fourth battery-test light (which, unless used under load, is not giving you an indication of the current capacity). Had you run much off the battery since the last time you were plugged in?

Right before you get that ratcheting sound (a clutch mechanism similar to your cordless drill) is right when the motor is under the maximum load and will be drawing the maximum current - if the battery voltage is low, it will try to pull even more current and that can blow fuses. When plugged in, the converter is probably providing most of the current so the battery voltage won't drop as badly.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #9

DaveSchwartz,
Thanks for the info. Good question. I am not sure if I had run anything since plugged in last. But, I don't think so. Also, the reason that it was unplugged for a couple of days, is that I was moving my 120V/30A plugin closer to TT because I was using a 30A extension chord which I removed. In it's place is a permanent plug with heavier wiring. But a light or something could have been on, thus drawing down the battery. I will check these things. So, it could have been a temporary problem.
When I start feeling better, I will check the battery voltage while pulling in the slide and unplugged from 120V.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #10

I checked battery voltage, unplugged 120V, slides pulled in but not with any action. It read 13.10. Battery water OK. The battery is a Continental, TM-24, CCA=500, RC=120. Not the best battery (dealer installed). I will have to have wife help pushing slide buttons to see what happens with the battery. I will probably replace this battery with something much better. I know that some people use 2 golf, 6v Trojan batteries.
I don't boondock, so I do not need that much capacity. Besides, 2 battries just add that much more weight. However, I would like a much better marine/rv rechargeable. What would the best (CCA, RC, one battery) recommended for my TT application with 2 slides without losing most battery capacity when operating the slides? My previous MH had 2-12V batteries (large). But weight did not matter.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #11

slide outs

I have the same problem with my slides. Does anyone know the location of the fuse on a 2012 Georgetown 360? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tzajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #12

I don't know how about the GT, since it is a MH. But on my TT, there were 2 separate inline 30A automotive style fuses, located just off the battery cutoff switch and along the driver side frame. My owners manual does not say anything about fuses. I hope you have a better manual. I am still learning where and how with a lot of things on my own and not in their great manual. If you cannot find them, call the factory or dealership. I don't know why you would have a similar problem but maybe you do have a bad battery? You should have 2 batteries, being you have a MH. If one is bad, it will drag the other one down.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #13

txredfish
You will need to watch your volt meter while the slid is being operated to see how far it draws your battery down.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

slide outs

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
I don't know how about the GT, since it is a MH. But on my TT, there were 2 separate inline 30A automotive style fuses, located just off the battery cutoff switch and along the driver side frame. My owners manual does not say anything about fuses. I hope you have a better manual. I am still learning where and how with a lot of things on my own and not in their great manual. If you cannot find them, call the factory or dealership. I don't know why you would have a similar problem but maybe you do have a bad battery? You should have 2 batteries, being you have a MH. If one is bad, it will drag the other one down.
Thanks for the reply. My manual is useless also. Both batteries seem good and slides still don't work when plugged into shore power.I've checked every fuse I can find.
tzajack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, slide, slide out