Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Blown tire = leaking slide hydraulic fluid

We had our new Wildcat 2013 353LS trailer delivered to us. However, the trailer experienced a tire failure (who da thunk) on the trip.

I didn't notice any problem until after pulling the slide out in and a puddle of hydraulic fluid started to forum on the ground dripping down from the center spring shackle. So I let the slide out back to the extended position go get a leak. Then I could see where there must have been a tire blow out that caused a few small holes to be ripped through the basement seal material and I could see a little exposed insulation.

Now I'm not looking to place blame on anyone for the repairs, I called the driver who said there was a tire failure, he called roadside assistance purchased a new tire and had it mounted.

What I am looking for is some information. What is involved in dropping the lower cover under the trailer. I am guessing that the leak must be near where one of the small tears occurred, what is the hydraulic line made of? Is this a material that can be patched or sealed? Could it be fixed with compression fittings?

I don't think I am looking for anything in the way of a large leak as the slides do still operate.

Any assistance is welcome and appreciated.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #2

Usually just some 1/4" self tapping screws, with washers or washer heads, hold the underbelly cover on. The hard part, from what I've read, is the caulking and foam around protrusions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Always Learning

Given some information on other threads, I think you should have it evaluated by a local FR dealer just in case you end up putting some money into it and need to get reimbursed.

In my driver contract for when my camper was picked up- it's the driver's company that is responsible for any damage.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #4

Why not contact the Mi.F/R dealer and let them handle the whole problem? That is who you paid for the New unit. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #5

I guess my train of thought is that that tire would have blown if the trailer was pulled by me or the transport company. It is really not the selling dealers problem. Nor could I really say it was the problem of the transporter company. If one were to place blame it would be on the tire manufacture which I will attempt to contact. But, I would really prefer to if at all possible just take care of the problem in my driveway and move on to the next opportunity that presents itself. And as we all know, with a new trailer it will present itself.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #6

If the transport driver didn't give you the (Blown Tire) good luck dealing with the Tire Co. I have been down that road! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
I guess my train of thought is that that tire would have blown if the trailer was pulled by me or the transport company. It is really not the selling dealers problem. Nor could I really say it was the problem of the transporter company. If one were to place blame it would be on the tire manufacture which I will attempt to contact. But, I would really prefer to if at all possible just take care of the problem in my driveway and move on to the next opportunity that presents itself. And as we all know, with a new trailer it will present itself.
To my thinking this is sorta faulty logic. You bought the unit new, correct? You have expectations of 100% functionality on delivery, correct? You should have a minimal warranty - even if you did not buy a extended warranty, correct?

Given the above, why would you want to treat your new unit like it was a "as is" used unit? I would have the dealer not only repair the damage, but inspect and make sure something else was not damaged as well (if it got your hydraulics, who is to say it did not ding a pinhole in your black water tank?....

my 2 cents... YMMV
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #8

Bottom line, have the dealer repair. Hydraulic line repair IS NOT a DIY project. Compression fittings will not work, there is NO way to repair a hole or tear in a line. Hyd. pressure is extreamly high and will blow out through any repair. take a look at the hose and you will see how the end are crimped. This is done with special tools and machines. If the hose has been torn or a pin hole you will need a new hose. Period.

Paul

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #9

If you are going to fix it yourself, you will have to remove the hose and take it somewhere that makes hydraulic hoses and have a new one built. Many farm and ranch type stores and many auto parts stores are setup to do this. I think you will have to bleed the air from the system if you do this. I am leaning towards what others have mentioned and have this looked at by the dealer. Maybe if some of these blowouts start costing the manufacturers big money on other repairs they'll start demanding better tires.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #10

Chances are that your blowout was caused by the delivery guy driving at excessive speed. All of your tires might need a proper internal inspection by a qualified tire inspector.
I agree with the others. You paid for new and the dealer and/or the delivery company needs to make it right.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #11

OK, here is a follow up as to where things stand. The tire manufacture does warrant the tire for 1 year for replacement of the tire. They also offer 1 year of roadside service for tire service IE: they will come out and change your tire with your spare tire. It does not cover mounting or balancing of a new tire, nor does it cover any cost of damage due to a faulty tire.

The driver did not keep the old blown tire so replacement under warranty is not an issue as the driver did pay for a new tire to be mounted on the factory rim via a roadside service call all at his expense. So bottom line I got a new replacement tire at no cost to me.

The blow out did cause some plastic fender damage. New fender skirt ordered and on the way already. I will install that myself as it is a simple screw in place installation I have preformed in the past on our Travel Supreme.

As for the hydraulic leak, after crawling under the slide out and looking things over the leak is not from the This floor plan was in production from what I can find out from mid 2012 to early 2013 which means this trailer has been sitting a long time. Upon inspection of the slide out hydraulic ram I noticed that the ram has a build up of a rough substance that looks to be of a rust or calcium deposit. This seal is located on the back side of the frame rail and protected from where any tire damage could occur. This would be a warranty item via FR on the Lippart frame warranty.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #12

On a side note, we had planned on replacing the factory OEM tires upon receipt of the trailer due to the poor history of the tires. I have heard that a few of the tire manufactures will stand behind their RV tires and cover any damages cause to your RV. I have heard however that the importer of these often used import tires that manufactures used to save a couple of dollars will not offer any assistance to damage caused by a tire failure.

We found it interesting that when we were shopping for 5th wheels that many manufactures offered tire upgrades as a option that could be ordered.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
<SNIP>
We found it interesting that when we were shopping for 5th wheels that many manufactures offered tire upgrades as a option that could be ordered.
Which was a option we got - along with a extended warranty
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #14

I think I will be moving up to 235/85/16 E1 tires with a Q speed rating in a truck tire. The weight limit of each tire is 3045#

Tags
hydraulic, leak, slide, tire