Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Stevemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 179
Carefree slide toppers

Does anybody have experience good or bad with Carefree brand of slide topper awnings? I want to put toppers on our 5th wheel slides and like the looks of Carefree brand. Thanks
__________________

__________________
Steve & Jean
Furbaby - T.J.
Towmotor - 2013 Chevy LT DRW Duramax/Allison
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,296
From the reviews I've read, they are better than the Dometic brand, which is the only other topper manufacturer.
But our Dometic topper has been flawless for nearly 10 years.
__________________

__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Stevemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 179
Yes we haven't had any problems with our Dometic awnings either but our current 5th wheel has a clearence issue on the end of one slide where it looks like Carefree would fit better. If I use Dometic the fabric won't cover the edge of the slide.
__________________
Steve & Jean
Furbaby - T.J.
Towmotor - 2013 Chevy LT DRW Duramax/Allison
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,438
Here is a 3rd mfg that i just ran across
Window/Door/Slideout Awnings
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
heavynlori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemc View Post
Yes we haven't had any problems with our Dometic awnings either but our current 5th wheel has a clearence issue on the end of one slide where it looks like Carefree would fit better. If I use Dometic the fabric won't cover the edge of the slide.

We have Dometic toppers on our Crusader

The door side slide has to be extended BEFORE we can open the awning....there is not enough clearance to ever open the awning before putting that slide out....but who really puts their awning out and NOT the slide?

There is enough overhang on both ends of that slide also - a friend had a similar unit by Sabre and dealer shorted the length on theirs and told them it was due to awning arm clearance issue - topper was about 4 inches shorter than actual slide which would seem to defeat purpose but dealer told them it was okay....


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
__________________
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
KenHwy61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 716
I have a Carefree slideout topper on my trailer. Been used many times without issue.
__________________

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
deartruc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southern New England
Posts: 818
I paid $72 for mine, wait, that was the shipping charge back to Carefree since no one was home to sign for it. Ended up making my own slide out cover. Thanks Camping World!!

__________________
2008 Dodge Durango
2015 Roo 23 ikss
deartruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Justice12t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 241
Looking at the same for our Crusader, question is what color? Unit is champagne or tan with brown/black awning hardware. White no way so black?? Seems crazy but limited it looks.
__________________
2016 Prime Time Crusader 294RLT

2016 Days Camped - 31
2017 Camping Blues - ...
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I have a Carefree slideout topper on my trailer. Been used many times without issue.

Same here. I didn't pick them- that's just what my dealer installed.

The Sabre warranty manager did comment that mine are nicer than what they install at the factory, though.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Stevemc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
We have Dometic toppers on our Crusader

The door side slide has to be extended BEFORE we can open the awning....there is not enough clearance to ever open the awning before putting that slide out....but who really puts their awning out and NOT the slide?

There is enough overhang on both ends of that slide also - a friend had a similar unit by Sabre and dealer shorted the length on theirs and told them it was due to awning arm clearance issue - topper was about 4 inches shorter than actual slide which would seem to defeat purpose but dealer told them it was okay.....


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
I wish that would work on ours. If I use a Dometic topper long enough to cover the slide the awning arm won't clear the bracket regardless of whether the slide is out first or not.
__________________

__________________
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.