Old 08-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #1

Changing hydraulic fluid

I saw in the owners manual that it is suggested to change the hydraulic fluid every 3 yrs. Is there a port to drain the fluid??? Cant seem to find any info on it. Thx

Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #2

I used a small hand transfer pump, cost about $5 at Harbor Freight, or you can use a small tube and siphon oil out. Manual said about 2 quarts of fluid but mine took 3.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #3

I just have to ask being as I have worked with hydraulics all my life. Why would you have to change the hydraulic fluid? As stated I have worked with units that ran for twenty (20) or more years and never changed the hydraulic fluid. Change the filter on a periodic basis--Yes. Is there not a filter on the hydraulic units for RV slides?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I just have to ask being as I have worked with hydraulics all my life. Why would you have to change the hydraulic fluid? As stated I have worked with units that ran for twenty (20) or more years and never changed the hydraulic fluid. Change the filter on a periodic basis--Yes. Is there not a filter on the hydraulic units for RV slides?

Well...that's a good question. I read in the owners manual that Lippert recommends changing the fluid every 36 months. There is no filter as far as I know. I assumed that maybe the fluid absorbed moisture over time.....but I don't really know. They must have some basis for requiring a fluid change??
Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #5

The only filter in this type of hydraulic system is a screen on the suction side of the pump and the tank is vented to atmosphere so the oil will get some moisture and dirt in it over time
Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
win

I agree with Thurman , IMO it's a waist of time and money
The vent is actually a breather with a filter
Question for you guys. Do any of you change your power steering fluid every 3 years in your car or truck, I doubt it
But do what you have to do I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
B47

I tend to agree with those who question why change the hydraulic fluid in RV's.

The Boeing 727 ran a 3,000 psi hydraulic system ( I think the newer transport airplanes are even higher) and the airline was strict regarding changing the fluid and filters based on operating time. But these are powerful systems.

Most hydraulic systems in TT's,FW's, Toy Haulers, MH's are far less powerful and run many less hydraulic components,so I also have to question the need to change the fluid.

I don't have an issue with changing the filter(s).

Tags
hydraulic