Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #1

Cherokee Slide Out Motors

Anyone know who makes the 12V slide motors for Forrest River?
The one on my 2004 Cherokee 27L is fried and the dealer quotes me the price of $465 plus freight. I may even look at geting it re-wound depending on the price. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Jim
Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #2

$465?!?!?! OUCH!!

I think I might just look for something else that would work. The gears and the mounting are the big thing. A DC motor is a DC motor in my opinion.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:12 AM   #3

Yes I know it sounds like a crazy price but the thing is the electric motor has the worm gear built into the armeture shaft and as such the entire mechanism is motor specific.
They have us again. Maybe I should just depend on my DeWalt Cordless for this LOL

Jim
Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Team

Have you Googled 12VDC Gearmotor? DC GearMotors Here's a few. You'll need to know the final RPM and you could probably guess at the torque. The caveat will be that most of these motors won't have the overtorque clutch so you'll either need to be real careful running it in and out or you'll need to add limit switches. If you can find one with the correct stall torque it would work fine.

venture mfg co Here's another place that may have what you need.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:07 AM   #5

ah slideout motor

dang for some reason I was thinking landing gear motor

I like Bama's idea of one of those motors and rig up limit switches that would shut the motor down once it reaches it's set points
Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #6

Thanks very much for the info. The orginal motor does not have any overtorque clutch built into it. It is just a plain, run of the mill 12V motor much similar to a automotive wiper motor actually. The only downside is that the armature has the gear machined into the actual shaft. What I did find rather interesting is that the OEM motor has no manufaturer info on it. All it says is 12V- 30amp, 18 to 1 ratio and serial number. No model number or manufacturer identity, probably some cheap chineese knockoff.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Have you Googled 12VDC Gearmotor? DC GearMotors Here's a few. You'll need to know the final RPM and you could probably guess at the torque. The caveat will be that most of these motors won't have the overtorque clutch so you'll either need to be real careful running it in and out or you'll need to add limit switches. If you can find one with the correct stall torque it would work fine.

venture mfg co Here's another place that may have what you need.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
probably some cheap chineese knockoff

nooooooooooooooooooo........................

they would Never use anything from Chiner
Old 07-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
nooooooooooooooooooo........................

they would Never use anything from Chiner
I regress, I should have never thought of such a thing! LOL
Old 07-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Anyone know who makes the 12V slide motors for Forrest River?
The one on my 2004 Cherokee 27L is fried and the dealer quotes me the price of $465 plus freight. I may even look at geting it re-wound depending on the price. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Jim
Maybe they added Insulation in with the total, you think!!!!!!!
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:31 AM   #10

Update,

One of the Links posted here by Bama Rambler, Venture MFG supply the OEM version of this slide assembly. I was talking to one of their staff and have a new motor on order... Cost $50 + shipping. What an asset this forum is.

Thanks guys.

Jim
Old 07-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Update,

One of the Links posted here by Bama Rambler, Venture MFG supply the OEM version of this slide assembly. I was talking to one of their staff and have a new motor on order... Cost $50 + shipping. What an asset this forum is.

Thanks guys.

Jim
OUTSTANDING!!!

Beats the heck outa $465 plus freight!!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #12

I have a 2005 Cherokee 27Q wit the same slide out. It quit on me once and I paid to have it fixed. That one too quit on me. Contacted Forest river and said that I had trouble twice now and the second time the wall switch was fried. They paid to have it fixed this time.
Mike Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote