Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 69
Considering adding a slide topper - need opins

I'm considering adding a slide topper. My TT has one slide.

Looking for input on these questions:

  1. Do I need to blow off the slide topper before closing the slide? If I'm going to need to blow off the slide topper is it really helping me? I'm already carrying a ladder in order to blow off the top of the slide itself.
  2. If I get a slide topper can I close the slide while its still wet with the morning dew? If so, do I have to open the slide when I get home in order for it to dry out?
  3. Any tidbits of know-how with regards to maintaining slides and slide toppers from the *experts*?
__________________

__________________
Charleston, SC
2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ
2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: eastern NC
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
I'm considering adding a slide topper. My TT has one slide.

Looking for input on these questions:

  1. Do I need to blow off the slide topper before closing the slide? If I'm going to need to blow off the slide topper is it really helping me? I'm already carrying a ladder in order to blow off the top of the slide itself.
  2. If I get a slide topper can I close the slide while its still wet with the morning dew? If so, do I have to open the slide when I get home in order for it to dry out?
  3. Any tidbits of know-how with regards to maintaining slides and slide toppers from the *experts*?
I added a slide topper to our 25KS, because the dealer didn't have the black fabric for him to do it. IMO its very important to have one, to keep junk(leaves, limbs, pine cones/straw, pecans, acorns, ect.) from getting on the slide top and then dragging that junk thru the top seal. I climbed on top and swept off the slide top every time before we left camp, before the topper was installed........ Once the topper is there then anything up there will fall off as it rolls in. Have never been concerned about morning dew. .... I consider it a valuable item to have and asked the dealer why it wasn't a standard item, said some owners in snowy areas don't want them because they can be damaged by snow pileup. So some dealers don't include them when making orders for that reason, and add it if the new owner wants it.
__________________

__________________


fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 10,610
Go with the Toppers the +++s are far ahead of the ---s! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 71
are these slide toppers typically a dealer only install or can they be done at home?
__________________
2015 FR Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL
2007 F250 4wd CC SB 6.0 Diesel
5LowesOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: eastern NC
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LowesOR View Post
are these slide toppers typically a dealer only install or can they be done at home?
I ordered mine from Amazon and installed by myself,..... certainly goes better with help, but is doable without it,....... I would have, and wanted, the dealer to install, but he didn't have the black fabric to match our color scheme. Bought in PA and we live in NC, once we got the tt home and no dealer close by, it was just easier to buy and do myself.
__________________


fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Hugeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Union, Missouri
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I ordered mine from Amazon and installed by myself,..... certainly goes better with help, but is doable without it,.......
How much drilling into you unit did you have do? I hate the thought of it.
__________________
2018 PUMA 31 BHSS
2017 RAM 2500 LARAMIE 6.4 HEMI 4X4
E2 WDH
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
3 nights camped so far in 2017
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: eastern NC
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeez View Post
How much drilling into you unit did you have do? I hate the thought of it.
quite a bit of drilling, the awning rail(the piece that holds the awning to the trailer side) I believe comes predrilled 6" apart, our awing is 9 1/2ft., the awning mounts have 6 screws on each mounting plate,...... the awning rail does NOT come with the awning kit, you have to buy it separately,.... if you have a dealer close by, I'd let them do it,........

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________

__________________


fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.