Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #21

I have contacted 1 repair shop about the floor and they don't replace the whole floor just cut out the bad spot and repair then overlay the whole floor. I have another repair shop I will contact and see what they suggest. Thanks for all the input.
bullet13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #22

I have sent e-mail to one of my contacts at the factory that I had on file. He no longer is there or in another department. Another Rep. has contacted me. They are looking into my problem and will get back with me. Will update later when they get back with me. Forest rivers has been good to me with this camper in the past. The fixed several problems I had when the camper was approx: 18 months old. Will see where this goes. Thanks
Old 09-14-2015, 08:04 PM   #23
Enjoying Life

I am not a big fan of Slide Toppers. Had them on my last 5er, but couldn't get in to clean dirt or mildew from under. Our new unit has no slide topper and when it is time to close or clean, simple matter of removing whatever debris may be there. My slides are clean from top to bottom. Anyone have an option?
mpoulin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #24
Plain Old Member

A little off original subject, but to clean bottom of slide topper: Spray the topper (top) with your choice of cleaning chemical. I won't go into details as that tends to be a debate, but I do use a mixture including a degreaser / water. Spray the topper down with sollution, pull slide in which of course rolls the awning up (when rolled up the sollution soaks both the top and bottom), wait 15 minutes, run slide back out and hose down the topper (top and underneath). If done often enough, you won't ever have to scrub the thing. Same works on the patio awning.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #25

Excellent information. Thanks for sharing.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #26

Have e-mail forest rivers about my problem. They haven't acknowledge that there is a problem with there design in slide outs. Was hoping to hear back on possible solution with the existing one that I'm having problem with and possible solution to keep this from happening to the other slides as well. Still haven't heard back. Have contacted a repair shop and will have them help out with this problem and see what they have to offer. Thanks
Old 09-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #27
Plain Old Member

Unfortunately, most companies don't / won't acknowledge that it's a problem, but they know darn well it is. I guess they are just that stupid, or they think we are. Nothing like a slide designed to fail or rot. The fix I have done as a preventative measure is what some companies are doing, but not many. A GOOD dealer knows of the issue, and stocks those end caps. Both Gauthiers and Steves in Louisiana do, and they know of the problem. If a dealer doesn't know of the issue, they must not do much service work (maybe their reputation stinks), or do very good service work, as most good ones have seen it, done it, fixed it etc.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #28

For years I designed and engineered mobile equipment and the mechanical engineer in me has had me pondering this side floor water problem for quite some time, ever since I discovered a relative's trailer slide had floor water damage starting.

I've experimented a lot this summer, and believe I have a relatively cheap fix to stop water ... will be posting photos and write up shortly ... while it doesn't fix existing damage, it does prevent it from getting worse or happening.

My concept was to come up with something that worked well, was aesthetically pleasing to look at, but anyone could do with minimal tools, and yet shouldn't affect the operation or warranty of the trailer either ... parts are all from the local HD or hardware store.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #29
Plain Old Member

Talking about the aluminum / vinyl coil trim drip edge tucked under the end moldings, serving the same purpose to prevent water from going up under the slide?

Tags
roo, slide