Old 09-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #11
Plain Old Member

The plastic piece is the better route in my opinion, just because it has to ride on the flush floor ramp (assuming that is a flush floor slide). Yes, the trim does come off, the piece is fitted, trim resecured, and yes the piece extends at least 6" under the slide. Eternabond would make a mess over time. I don't have any experience changing slide floors in my own shop, but have seen it done, and it's not as big a deal as you'd think, provided you have the skills to do so. I had one changed on a bedroom slide (previous fifth wheel), and the slide box was never removed. There is a youtube video showing a living room flush floor slide out floor being changed without removing the whole slide. Each dealer / service place has their own method of doing it. I can't recommend any specific place to do it. It wouldn't be cheap more than likely. Billy T's in Scott, though expensive, does very good work. He's not a dealer, so doesn't care what names on the rig. Not 100% sure they do slide floors, but I haven't seen much they won't do. Most dealers will do it, though that can be hit and miss. I prefer Steve's in Lacombe if I ever need anything. Small dealer, not stupid busy like the huge ones, won't keep your rig 2 months like some, and they work on any brand as well. Never turn down the work that I've seen.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #12

Yes it is a flush floor slide. A friend of mine told me of a place by Lafayette called Gregs Rv repair. I will contact them to see what type of repairs they do on RV's. I will check into the plastic sheeting for my slides to protect them from this same type of water intrusion. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:37 PM   #13
Plain Old Member

Seems I've heard of them before. Good place to start I reckon. Won't know until you start calling around. Try calling Billy T's as well. (337) 233-7494 or (800) 298-6952. http://www.billyt.com/ You'd probably speak to Helen. If they can't do it, they will tell you somebody who can. Very good people. Please keep hanging out on the forum and post back your findings. Might help somebody else out one day.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:43 PM   #14

I seen on another post where you had a picture of the plastic piece. Looks like that would be the better solution than the tape. I will check out Billyt website also. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #15

Same problem on my Brookstone

My living room slide floor was replaced this summer by my local dealer. Water had wicked into the end of the flake board flooring and caused it to turn soft. Another month or so and the couch probably would have gone through the floor. I looked at every alternative for a fix and in the end chose to replace the floor at about $2k. This coach was 5 years old this year so it took that long for the floor to become soft enough to notice.

We also noted that someone had tried a repair prior to me, this was a preowned coach. I spoke with the seller before making the purchase and he indicated they had never had any problems. My dealer disclosed that it had a previous water leak that had been repaired but was good to go. In the end the dealer fixed it for labor and material. Very labor intensive as they totally removed the slide, slide windows, etc. and manufactured a cradle to hold the slide while they replaced the floor.

In my opinion flake board is a poor excuse for a floor where the possibility exists of water entry. I requested the dealer use marine plywood for the replacement but they couldn't get the correct thickness so in the end I believe they used MDF.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #16

The best thing to do is get slide toppers. Keeps branches sticks and other damaging trash off of the top of the slide as well as the rain. IMHO you can't make a better investment.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #17

Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb Kitt View Post
The best thing to do is get slide toppers. Keeps branches sticks and other damaging trash off of the top of the slide as well as the rain. IMHO you can't make a better investment.
My Brookstone has slide toppers and they didn't prevent my floor damage. You are correct in that they keep the top clean and free of debris. However, in my case and many others the toppers can in no way prevent water from running down the slide end and wicking around trim screws heads. The factory failed to properly seal the floor edges.

How does one justify investing more money in an RV for this kind of repair? My reasoning (ymmv) was this: What would I do if this were my home? For me this was a no brainier, fix the problem, do not bandaid it.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #18

Thanks for the reply Nick. I have had leaking issues with this RV in the past and Forest Rivers stepped up and stood by there product. Now I am 6yrs into this RV and still having issues with water getting into this unit. I thought by going with Cardinal and not a lower end Rv that I wouldn't be fighting this kind of problems. Just wounder how much money I will have to continue to invest in this one to keep it or just cut my loses and move on. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #19

I can't answer that question Bullet, wish I could but that is something only you and family can answer. For me having the dealer repair the floor was a no brainier as I bought my Brookstone at a significantly discounted price, the dealer had to sit on it for 8 months and was ready to see it leave the lot. At the time it was 4 years old and we thought that all the "little" factory issues would we fixed---Wrong!. I now believe the original owners were not into maintenance at any level.

Even with the $2k floor investment we are still into a nice mid-level fiver at substantially less than I would have ever dreamed.

I guess it boils down to how much you need to invest to make it a dry RV versus any loss to trade again. We looked hard at that option with a beautiful 2014 Heartland Big Horn but in the end the analysis demonstrated that investing another $2k was the most logical move.

Like others have suggested, find a reputable repair shop (or shops) and get multiple estimates. Don't use the federal model and pick the lowest bidder.

I cut a large piece of Masonite that would distribute the couch weight over a larger area so that we could continue to use our coach until we pulled the trigger. This year we have used our Brookstone as 75% of a full timer life style and in November we plan to pull it to FL as full time snowbirds. I guess you can see we have no regrets investing the $ to make this our second home.

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best of luck.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #20

Thumbs up Where is all the water and wetness from ???

I had something similar water problem however it didn't come from rain. I had a cold water fitting leak at a junction crimp point. I didn't discover it until I pulled out of my driveway and left a bath full of water in the street. Just like my pickup does when I leave the carwash.

Fortunately I was on my way to the dealer for other warranty work. The dealer found the leak and had to pull the material off and remove all the insulation and took the time in the heat of the summer to allow everything to dry properly. They replace all the damage material, fortunately under warranty.

Oh yea the leak was the cold water fead line to the back of the outside shower fixture, hidden in a wall and no way I would could have discovered it. I credit Stephen the service manager at Funtime RV Inc. In Wilsonville Or for the discovery and repair.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, slide