Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Direct short fuse #2 15amp s/o

Forest river 831 ress 2014. All hardwired LEDs in tipouts are dead. Any ideas?
Checked for loose wires in lighting for possible short.
Vmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you saying that you have a direct short on the fuse #2 circuit, because it blows the fuse immediately upon plugging it in?

Is it for all lighting or just in the slideout(s)?
How many slideouts is it affecting?

A common place for the wiring to short out is where it routes under the slideout. Have you checked there for chafed wires?
Old 08-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #3

good question

Yes it is a direct short. I have three slides and all three slides (Just low voltage lighting) have been affected but not the wall plugs. All other lights work in the trailer.
We did crawl under trailer and all wiring looks intact. we didnt remove the plastic wiring covers.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Site Team

I'd look for anywhere the wires cross any frame member, or route through the frame members, or other sharp holes. If you don't find it there you can see if you can tell where the wire leaving the power panel goes first and start by unhooking it at the first light fixture, and see if it blows the fuse then. If it doesn't, hook it back up and move to the next one. Unhook it and see if the fuse blows. Keep this up till you narrow down exactly where the problem is between. Then you can narrow it down more once you know that.

Also if there's a junction box under the RV where the wires route from the power panel to the slides, take the cover off it and start unhooking stuff there and testing for the short.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Bama Rambler;1294783]I'd look for anywhere the wires cross any frame member, or route through the frame members, or other sharp holes. If you don't find it there you can see if you can tell where the wire leaving the power panel goes first and start by unhooking it at the first light fixture, and see if it blows the fuse then. If it doesn't, hook it back up and move to the next one. Unhook it and see if the fuse blows. Keep this up till you narrow down exactly where the problem is between. Then you can narrow it down more once you know that.

Also if there's a junction box under the RV where the wires route from the power panel to the slides, take the cover off it and start unhooking stuff there and testing for the short.

Thats great info, thanks, I will try to locate the main power box when I get back to it on wed. Unfortunately the under belly of the trailer is covered so I will have to figure out where it might be located and how to best access it. Will check behind the fuse panel as well. We took every light in each tipout apart and severed the hot line and tested new fuses but kept blowing them.

Tags
15 amp fuse, tipouts, electrical