Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Graduate Member

Drove with slide out, now misaligned

This is painful to write...but here we go. Our first camp trip (not just to the in-laws) required us to camp, then drive to Mall of America during the day, and back to camp in the evenings.

Before one of the short trips, wife decides to help with the LR slide. She hits the button and doesn't notice that a) it's the slide OUT button, or b) that the slide is moving OUT by a couple inches.

My fault for not noticing - total newbie mistake.

We don't get above about 50mph on the way to camp, and it's only a few miles - but that seems enough. The slide would "catch" 2-3 times when you moved it - both in and out. That sound of the gear clicking when the slide is already all the way in and you're still pressing the button - just like that but a little louder.

So we attempt to push it "forward", when it's extended on the theory that the wind caught those couple inches sticking out and shifted the slide back toward the rear. It has gotten better, but now "misses" 2-3 times per slide in or out. Motor still working, the slide just pauses and after a few seconds recatches and continues on.

I've searched the forum and nobody else has posted a similar issue (or fessed up to it). I THINK I've found the two adjustment bolts, but they are a hot rusted mess and didn't move, although I was a little scared to put my back into it.

One of the bolts through one of the guide bars is freshly sheared - the hex shape is now smooshed on one side.

I'll post pics in a bit, but wanted to get this typed out while I have time.

So my question is - is this a dealer fix or something I can do at home?

And if it's a dealer fix, please tell me I didn't just make a several thousand dollar stupid mistake.

btw - if you 'help' the slide by gently pushing in as another person presses the button, it works perfectly.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #2

Chances are that it's a slide made by LCI (Lippert Components Inc). Google LCI and look for your particular slide room adjustment procedure. If your handy with a wrench chances are you'll fix it yourself.
Mike
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip
This is painful to write...but here we go. Our first camp trip (not just to the in-laws) required us to camp, then drive to Mall of America during the day, and back to camp in the evenings.

Before one of the short trips, wife decides to help with the LR slide. She hits the button and doesn't notice that a) it's the slide OUT button, or b) that the slide is moving OUT by a couple inches.

We don't get above about 50mph on the way to camp, and it's only a few miles - but that seems enough. The slide would "catch" 2-3 times when you moved it - both in and out. That sound of the gear clicking when the slide is already all the way in and you're still pressing the button - just like that but a little louder.

So we attempt to push it "forward", when it's extended on the theory that the wind caught those couple inches sticking out and shifted the slide back toward the rear. It has gotten better, but now "misses" 2-3 times per slide in or out. Motor still working, the slide just pauses and after a few seconds recatches and continues on.

I've searched the forum and nobody else has posted a similar issue (or fessed up to it). I THINK I've found the two adjustment bolts, but they are a hot rusted mess and didn't move, although I was a little scared to put my back into it.

One of the bolts through one of the guide bars is freshly sheared - the hex shape is now smooshed on one side.

And if it's a dealer fix, please tell me I didn't just make a several thousand dollar stupid mistake.

btw - if you 'help' the slide by gently pushing in as another person presses the button, it works perfectly.
Check Schwintec sites on forum and net. They are vendor for Sunseeker units and are a division of Lippert. Very good maintenance and guides on line.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #4

I had the same noise one time when I wasn't level and the slide skipped a couple of gears. I pushed it in and spayed lube on the gear and ran it in and out 2 or 3 X's and it cleared up. I thought that the gear was gone, but now no problem, but I make sure I'm LEVEL and cross my fingers all the time. I have also adjusted the the slide by the Lipperts recommendation I was about a quarter to half inch low on the right side. Easy to adjust. Just sounds like you got out of sync. like I did, You live an learn. Hay with my first 5er, I high hitched and dropped the unit in my bed. Lost my tail gate and put a dent in my truck. Now I painted my bar bright YELLOW so I see that it is closed. Just part of camping do not be to hard on yourself. S!!T happens.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post

By your (bolts sheared on bars) sounds like a (Shear pin)? If so the gears from side to side are out of relationship (Timeing). Reinforced by another person pushing! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Graduate Member

Thanks all - sometimes I feel like the NASA janitor who was asked to pilot the space shuttle when dealing with the RV, so I really appreciate the helpful hints (and knowing that it's happened to all of us)
2012 - 26 days

Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Site Team

for future trips, one thing that always suggested, is to make a walk-around, a part of your checklist.

as a firefighter engineer, we have it drilled into our skulls, to always do a walk-around before moving the engine. it was natural for me to transfer that habit, when pulling my trailer. i even do it, at the gas station, when refueling.

truckers make this a habit also.
but the average driver doesn't think of this as a standard routine.

i would think that this would be a dealer issue, since the slideout may need to be lifted or moved. unless you have a forklift.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #8

Or just check your rear views!!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Graduate Member

Thanks all for your help and observations. We got it fixed! Turns out it knocked the two gears loose from the tracks, so with some patience, a socket wrench and several extensions - we refitted the gears in place, re-tightened and now it works like a dream!
2012 - 26 days

Tags
slide