Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #1

Dust and dirt coming in through slide seal

I have a 2015 2608 Rockwood TT and am having problems with dust and dirt coming in from the bottom slide seal. We are on vacation and have had to drive down dusty dirt roads that are under repair in Canada. When we stop yo go in the TT, it is covered with dirt and dust inside. it seems to becoming from under the slide. I have tried to remedy by adjusting the slide and installing some additional weather striping but cant seem to stop the problem. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Thanks George
gskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Just to play devil's advocate... You are sure it's coming through there, not an open roof fan, oven vent or window?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

These travel trailers are not air tight. Dust comes in from compartment doors, holes in the floor where the pipes and electrical come thru. One of the reasons is traveling with vents open (even when covered by vent cover) and leaving the stoppers out of the sinks creates a slight low pressure inside the trailer which sucks in outside air, on gravel roads that equals dust everywhere.

Its something I have learned to just live with and plan for clean up when stopped
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #4

Thanks for your advice. Our roof vents are closed and i can see the dirt trail from under the slide so I'm sure that is leaking area. The suggestion of leaving a vent open may help however the amount of dirt at the end of the day is considerable. it not only covers the floor but everything else including the seats, shelves and couch, almost like a sand storm occurred inside. there must be something that can be done to alleviate the problem.

Thanks George
Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #5

gskill
I was not suggesting leaving the vents open just the opposite close them. It does seem like it may be coming from the slide. The gasket on the slide should be compressed somewhere around 50% on all sides to seal correctly.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #6
Carknocker Family

Bottom gasket on slide above trailer tires? Does it leak while driving in rain?
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #7

not sure if it leaks during the rain however it seems to coming in at the tires. I believe the other seals are tight. I cant see the area with the slide in so its very difficult to determine where i am reasonably sure it is the bottom gasket. is there anything i can do to help seal it. I did initially used weather striping when I thought it was coming in the side by the tires but after adjusting the slide i believe i have a tight seal.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #8
Carknocker Family

My be a dumb question, seals in good condition? Wiper seal in place? I myself am fighting a leak while driving in rain. Found my slide not square when extended. Portion over tire was a 1/2 inch big. Adjusted yesterday, we will see next week if that fixed it.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskill View Post
I have a 2015 2608 Rockwood TT and am having problems with dust and dirt coming in from the bottom slide seal. We are on vacation and have had to drive down dusty dirt roads that are under repair in Canada. When we stop yo go in the TT, it is covered with dirt and dust inside. it seems to becoming from under the slide. I have tried to remedy by adjusting the slide and installing some additional weather striping but cant seem to stop the problem. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Thanks George
When you inspect the sweep seal along the bottom of the slide out be sure to run the slide in all but the last few inches. Remember the slide lifts up approx two inches as it comes in. It may look like it is ok when the slide goes out and drops, but it leaves a BIG gap when it lifts up into its closed position. You will need to remove and reposition the seal upwards till it is very tight to the bottom of the slide. Have had to do this on many models for owners.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #10

I'm not sure how to raise the seal if needed. my slide appears to come straight in with out raising.

I believe I may have located the problem. The two to three inch sweep seal at the bottom is not compressing as the slide stows leaving a gap of about 1/4 inch. The tires are slinging dust and dirt into the gap. I installed 1/2" self adhesive weather seal along the outer edge of the entire slide in attempt to build up the distance between the seal and the slide. Hopefully this will compress the seal enough to stop the leak. i noticed the rest of the slide was also not touching as well but was not a problem because the tires were not in it's location. We will see within the next few days when we move the RV.

Thanks to all with their suggestions and if you think I can try something else please let me know.

Tags
slide