Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #1

East/West versus North/South beds

Not sure if this goes here but this seemed most appropriate as the East/West bed is a slide. Looking for some info on how an E/W bed affects the length of an RV. For when we retire, about 5 years from now, we're looking at fifth wheel toy haulers and wondered why the shorter models don't seem to offer the E/W bed? We would like to keep the length of the camper under 36'.
MisterShockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #2

I think manufacturers are starting to see that not everyone wants a huge RV, especially since you can’t get into some of the older parks.

There are a few smaller fifth wheels out there with an East/West bed. For instance Flagstaff has a 34’ with an East/West bed: https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave.../8529IKBS/2156
Old 08-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #3

That's a decent layout but we're looking at toy haulers right now.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #4

Or next RV will have a bedroom with NS bed with some sort of slide . We love our Cardinal 3350 but we are getting too old to have to duck into the slide to make the bed and slide the mattress for the fitted sheets.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #5

We also looked at the EW bed in the Rockwood. It adds some weight to the front end and a person loses some storage under the bed.

But we still like it.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #6

Most Toy haulers are built between 96"-102" or wide. With that 100"+ width, they like to go north/south because they have plenty of room to put a 60" wide queen in and still have sizeable nightstands on each side. The East/West direction usually just comes down to if they want a slide in the bedroom, do they use it for a closet or a bed. If it's a closet, the bed may still be in either direction. If it's a bed, they go east/west.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #7

There are some pretty decently set up TT's with east/west beds in a slide out. The Jayco White Hawk 29FLS comes to mind. much better room around the bed on both sides and usually those setups have some very bodacious storage to boot. There is no one perfect setup for everyone.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #8

We have a TT w/ an E/W bed in a slide and its really does add livable space. It was one of the big reasons we bought our 27.5' trailer. We will have the same feature we we move to a 5 th. wheel. We originally looked at toy boxes to carry our kayaks, but realized the weight balance on them is designed w/ 1,000 pounds in the rear for them to tow properly. If you are buying your first trailer, it is something to consider.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #9

Our NS bed is a major reason I want to upgrade. It is nearly impossible to make the bed when it is housed in a "super storage center" or whatever they are calling it. There is no way to crawl up in there and get the fitted sheet on properly.
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGACamper View Post
Our NS bed is a major reason I want to upgrade. It is nearly impossible to make the bed when it is housed in a "super storage center" or whatever they are calling it. There is no way to crawl up in there and get the fitted sheet on properly.

That’s the same reason I hate a bed in a slide.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:46 PM   #11
SJB

I'm not sure what the terms East/West vs. North/South in bed slides means but I absolutely LOVE the bedroom slide in our Rockwood 2608 BSD. The bed slides out in the same direction as our living room slide so the bed is perpendicular to the length of the trailer. It gives us a huge amount of space in the bedroom and it is very easy to make the bed. Wouldn't want to ever go back to the old style bedroom without a slide.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #12

The nose of the trailer is North. The back end is south. I let you guess what is east and west.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #13

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the responses. What I'm looking to find out is much simpler than all that though. Basically, is there a structural versus length reason you don't tend to see east/west bed slides in the shorter (under 36 foot or so) fifth wheel toy haulers. I know there are issues either way with making the bed but the E/W bed gives the AWESOME closet/storage in the nose of the rig and my wife would very much prefer that.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
I'm not sure what the terms East/West vs. North/South in bed slides means but I absolutely LOVE the bedroom slide in our Rockwood 2608 BSD. The bed slides out in the same direction as our living room slide so the bed is perpendicular to the length of the trailer. It gives us a huge amount of space in the bedroom and it is very easy to make the bed. Wouldn't want to ever go back to the old style bedroom without a slide.
Ditto! We bought a 2608BS this year, and we love, love, love it. The east-west bed is one of our favorite things about it. After five years of living with a north-south bed in a Wildwood X-lite, we were tired of not being able to make up the bed easily. Now it's a piece of cake, and we have lots of closet space and other storage to boot. Won't go back, that's for sure! BTW, the bedroom is in the rear of the trailer, with the kitchen in the front. We recently spent three-and-a-half weeks in Canada, and we didn't even fill up all the storage spaces. If you're looking for a travel trailer with lots of storage space, the 2608BS certainly has enough for us.
DBigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGACamper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
That’s the same reason I hate a bed in a slide.
I think we can agree, making an RV bed isn't that easy. Best way is to pull the mattress out of wherever they stuck it and then shove it back in after you get the fitted sheets on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShockley View Post
Thanks everybody, I appreciate the responses. What I'm looking to find out is much simpler than all that though. Basically, is there a structural versus length reason you don't tend to see east/west bed slides in the shorter (under 36 foot or so) fifth wheel toy haulers. I know there are issues either way with making the bed but the E/W bed gives the AWESOME closet/storage in the nose of the rig and my wife would very much prefer that.
It's that AWESOME storage that my husband (the OP) and I are looking for and why we're looking for a toy hauler. We love the ones with the actual garages- like this Grand Design - https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...loorplans/328m The garages give us space for some rather space-eating hobbies we'll want to take on the road with us when we go full-time. But they are HARD to find under 36 feet and every single one we've found under 36 feet have the North/South bed and wardrobe slide. We just don't get WHY they won't turn the bed and make the wardrobe slide a bed slide.

We really want an East/West bed and the big closet in the nose like you find in regular 5th wheels and darn few of those that aren't really big!

We what we're really wondering is: #1. Does anyone know WHY they don't seem to make shorter 5th wheels - or any toy hauler's - with east/west beds. Is it a structural thing?

And #2, if someone does make toy hauler's with east/west bed slides that are 36 feet or less, can you direct us to them? Because we're having no luck!

2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2503s
2016 Ford F 150 3.5 L Ecoboost
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:36 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post
We what we're really wondering is: #1. Does anyone know WHY they don't seem to make shorter 5th wheels - or any toy hauler's - with east/west beds. Is it a structural thing?

And #2, if someone does make toy hauler's with east/west bed slides that are 36 feet or less, can you direct us to them? Because we're having no luck!
#1. I think it's just how it is. I can't fathom why there would be a reason for not allowing it. Yes, there are toy haulers with east/west beds, but none that I've found that fit your 36' requirement.

Tags
bed, beds