Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Push at the top of the slide, not the bottom.
Really? Amazing what one can learn here. Boy, I sure wouldn't have known that without your help.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
X2 - I always use mine as I have the same mechanism that Bakken has.
Agree, mine is the same and if it starts to move the face board is held in place with staples. So far I guess we've just been lucky. When the slide comes in on ours, the top hits at least 2" before the bottom hits.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Agree, mine is the same and if it starts to move the face board is held in place with staples. So far I guess we've just been lucky. When the slide comes in on ours, the top hits at least 2" before the bottom hits.
Maybe one of us has a slide out of adjustment. When mine comes in, the very first thing is the bottom lifts up. This tilts the slide so the top is tilted outwards.

As the slide comes in, the slide "topples" into the camper slightly as the center of gravity of the slide passes the 1/2 way point. This releases the weight on the spring loaded pinion gear tracking assemblies.

In this configuration, the top of the slide may contact the wall first but there is very little pressure to compress the top seals. Continued running of the motor pulls the bottom in until the bottom of the slide hits the outer wall.

The top seal in mine now rests on the outer wall but is not tight (though the bottom is).

When I install the slide brace (as in the photo), as I tighten the brace, the top pulls in compressing the top seal (light that was visible in the corners is extinguished) and the slide rotates slightly into the camper re-compressing the pinion gear spring pack.

Note: There is a clutch in the motor driven gear pack that can release (and in fact does so every time you reach full extension and retraction - that clacking noise). If the slide does not have the transit bars in place, a sharp enough shock can unlatch that clutch and allow the slide to move. Once in motion the weight of the slide may very well allow the slide to continue to full extension.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electric Slideout-Web.pdf (1.47 MB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf 0002-gear-pack-replacement-embedded-rack.pdf (144.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf 0065-skipping-teeth-fix.pdf (650.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #24

I didn't get any rods with my new camper. I have looked back at the slides in the truck mirror when travelling ( we have rough roads in NS) and I have never seen any movement of the big slide. As OC states, if there was movement, I would doubt if the trim will stay intact with the way it is slightly attached. I'll have to give this one to OC. Sorry Bakken.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #25

I had never heard nor seen these sticks before reading this post. There must be different slide configurations that require these during transit? The slides on our trailer lift up before moving out and then drop into position at the maximum extension.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
I had never heard nor seen these sticks before reading this post. There must be different slide configurations that require these during transit? The slides on our trailer lift up before moving out and then drop into position at the maximum extension.
Yes. There are different mechanisms that control the slides. If transit bars did not come with your (new) unit, you most likely have a system that does not need them. The NORCO wardrobe slide in our bedroom does not use them, for example, as it is chain and cable driven. The slide will not move (ever) without turning that motor using a tool I almost threw away.

I applaud Rugged's ability to see his camper's slides while traveling.
I can barely see my camper in our truck's dinky mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wardrobe Slideout Motor.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	34950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flex Drive Tool.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	34951  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf accuslide_service-manual.pdf (1.31 MB, 16 views)
Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #27

Great info in the attachments Herk.
Maintenance indicates no lube! I think many dealers would be surprised at this.
Here is the wording from your attached PDF

SYSTEM MAINTENANCE
The Lippert Electric Slideout System has been static tested to over 4,000 continuous cycles with out any noticeable wear to rotating or sliding parts. It is recommended that when operating in harsh environments (road salt, ice build up, etc.) the moving parts be kept clean and can be washed with mild soap and water. No grease or lubrication is necessary and in some situations may be detrimental to the environment and long term dependability of the system

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I didn't get any rods with my new camper. I have looked back at the slides in the truck mirror when travelling ( we have rough roads in NS) and I have never seen any movement of the big slide. As OC states, if there was movement, I would doubt if the trim will stay intact with the way it is slightly attached. I'll have to give this one to OC. Sorry Bakken.
Have to agree with Lou and RB both, I have never seen any movement or evidence of movement on the top of the slide on either of the main slides of our 2 Flagstaffs. I just don't believe the trim is secure enough to hold the slide if the track should release. I may be wrong, and if so, I guess I'll suffer the consequences and have to eat some crow. Wouldn't be the first time I've tasted that bird.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
I think many dealers would be surprised at this.
Many mechanics would be surprised it is not still 1931...

Proof? Look at the wall calendars...
Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I just don't believe the trim is secure enough to hold the slide if the track should release.
One of the big misconceptions is that the brace somehow restrains the slide.

It does not.

The brace puts pressure on the spring loaded pinion to keep it in contact with the rack at all times. Without the brace, the teeth of the pinion can skip out of the rack under a sharp load (or even break off). The clutch in the motorized gearbox is not sufficient to hold the slide if it starts moving.

Read the Lippert flyer on replacing the spring loaded pinion gear.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #31

Quote:

I applaud Rugged's ability to see his camper's slides while traveling.
I can barely see my camper in our truck's dinky mirrors.
It's not really that hard Lou, especially on a slight left turn. we have lots of winding rough roads here and I constantly look in the mirrors just to see if the camper is still there. I've noticed you changed your glasses recently , on your profile picture. Maybe a little stronger pair would work better. Now, that's a joke.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
It's not really that hard Lou, especially on a slight left turn. we have lots of winding rough roads here and I constantly look in the mirrors just to see if the camper is still there. I've noticed you changed your glasses recently , on your profile picture. Maybe a little stronger pair would work better. Now, that's a joke.
Let me see if I remember my High School Physics....

When turning left, which direction is centrifugal force acting on the left slide?

Is it acting to pull the slide away from the wall or acting to hold it tight?

Now if you could watch the right side slide while turning left; now that would be something...
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Lou, you are slowly, convincing me that I may have to dig the bars out and start using them. Hopefully I didn't pitch them. If I did, I guess I can make some new ones. LOL
Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Lou, you are slowly, convincing me that I may have to dig the bars out and start using them. Hopefully I didn't pitch them. If I did, I guess I can make some new ones. LOL

Yea, OC, Lou is too smart for me. I may just have to cut a couple of broomsticks up and use them.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #35

When I got my MH the delivery guy didn't know what the sticks were for, neither did I. So after a while I cut them down to a size where they fit inside the cabinets and I use them as dividers to keep things from banging around.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

No ax to grind. Just trying to say what I think is right.

Now lets hit the bar...
Old 07-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Maybe one of us has a slide out of adjustment. When mine comes in, the very first thing is the bottom lifts up. This tilts the slide so the top is tilted outwards.

As the slide comes in, the slide "topples" into the camper slightly as the center of gravity of the slide passes the 1/2 way point. This releases the weight on the spring loaded pinion gear tracking assemblies.

In this configuration, the top of the slide may contact the wall first but there is very little pressure to compress the top seals. Continued running of the motor pulls the bottom in until the bottom of the slide hits the outer wall.

The top seal in mine now rests on the outer wall but is not tight (though the bottom is).

When I install the slide brace (as in the photo), as I tighten the brace, the top pulls in compressing the top seal (light that was visible in the corners is extinguished) and the slide rotates slightly into the camper re-compressing the pinion gear spring pack.

Note: There is a clutch in the motor driven gear pack that can release (and in fact does so every time you reach full extension and retraction - that clacking noise). If the slide does not have the transit bars in place, a sharp enough shock can unlatch that clutch and allow the slide to move. Once in motion the weight of the slide may very well allow the slide to continue to full extension.

Great explanation, as always.
Facts are facts.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #38
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Mine work exactly like yours do and as such I see no need for the sticks either.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
No ax to grind. Just trying to say what I think is right.

Now lets hit the bar...
Don't think anyone was implying that, I appreciated the information. TOWTA says our poles are stored in under the bed in the front. Will retrieve them and start using. I will make sure they have some big tags of some kind to alert TOWTA to remove them before attempting to move the slide. It's a shame we can't come up with an electrical interlock disabling the switch until the poles are removed. Thanks again Lou for teaching this old dog a new trick.
I do believe that I will add an alum angle to set the pole against instead of the trim.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #40

Quote:
One of the big misconceptions is that the brace somehow restrains the slide.

It does not.

The brace puts pressure on the spring loaded pinion to keep it in contact with the rack at all times. Without the brace, the teeth of the pinion can skip out of the rack under a sharp load (or even break off). The clutch in the motorized gearbox is not sufficient to hold the slide if it starts moving.

Read the Lippert flyer on replacing the spring loaded pinion gear.
That is verified by the fact that one is only supposed to tighten the slide locks enough to keep them in place. And that is because the locks are only meant to keep the slide from rocking back and forth, the drive mechanism keeps the slide in place.
The two are meant to work together, so eliminating one weakens the other.
Closed Thread