Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

Finally made GRIEVOUS error w/ silly white sticks...

I'm on my fourth Forest River Sunseeker. All have had the "silly white sticks" for the slideouts. (And, stupid question, why do we only get THREE and not FOUR when there are TWO slideouts? Having THREE makes NO SENSE!)

On my previous three Sunseekers, I usually always remembered to pull out the sticks before putting the slides out. Sometimes I would start the slide, and realize the sticks were still in OOPS!

Today, I did the really grievous error. In my 3170, I put out my front slide (shorter than the back slide) without checking for the sticks. At first it tipped funny, but then it straightened out, but made funny noises. And, it went out awfully slow, as though I had very little battery power. When it was all the way out, I realized my GRIEVOUS error! One stick had fallen to the floor and was unscathed. The other stick was stuck in between the edge of the slide. I pulled the slide back in and pulled on it, and got it out. One of the rubber edges had slipped off and was outside. However, stick and rubber edge just have minor scrapes, no dents. I don't see any damage to my slide out rubber edge, so far.......

But, it's STILL not a good idea to put the slide out with the silly little sticks in.

Oh, where do you put your silly sticks? Top or side? Since we only get THREE, which makes no sense to me, I put two on both sides of the front slide, and one on one side of the back slide. There is no room for me to put a stick on the other side of that slide (between the wall and slide, can't get my arm in). I used to put this stick on the top, but it always fell out.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Best place to put them is in a dumpster, but if you insist on using them, tie a big red tag or pc of cloth on them so it hangs down where you can see them.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
NELA

ummm I'm hoping these silly sticks are specific to that model????

<<<has never seen the silly sticks and has three slides on our TT.

What purpose do they serve?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERmit View Post
ummm I'm hoping these silly sticks are specific to that model????<<<has never seen the silly sticks and has three slides on our TT. What purpose do they serve?
They come with the trailers from the factory and are used to supposedly lock the slides from coming out during transit. We've bought campers from 3 different dealers and all the techs have told us to put them in a dumpster or find some other use for them but to not use them on slides as they can do extreme damage if forgotten. OP was just lucky.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Love My Sunseeker

My god, replies already and I posted this 30 minutes ago.

I wish they were expandable, I'd put them in the bathroom and use them to hang clothes from drip dry.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Love My Sunseeker

AAACKKK! Just found some MINOR damage. The rubber edge around the wall slipped off two nails that it was supposed to be attached to the wall with.

I think I can live with it..........

Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #7

My last fifth wheel had them and I used them all the time. They had an orange tag that hung down to remind you to take them out. I figured that they were with the trailer for a reason, the slide manufacturer probably provided them.

I'm guessing that the people telling you not to use them when the manufacturer provided them is the same guy that is getting the business of repairing things when they go wrong.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
My last fifth wheel had them and I used them all the time. They had an orange tag that hung down to remind you to take them out. I figured that they were with the trailer for a reason, the slide manufacturer probably provided them.

I'm guessing that the people telling you not to use them when the manufacturer provided them is the same guy that is getting the business of repairing things when they go wrong.

Just my 2 cents.
Well ours didn't come with any sticks for the slides. We bought it less than two months ago, have taken it out three times. Not a sign of any sticks.

Where would they be applied?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Old 07-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Phat Phrog

Would love a pic.....I can't picture what that stick is!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post

Just my 2 cents.

Your 2 cents is worth a lot.
Our fifth came with them, and I wouldn't go 100 feet without them in place, because they are the only thing that holds the top of the slide in place with the type of mechanism used on our Flagstaff.
With the slide ready for travel, and without the locking bars in place, I can rock the slide back and forth a good 4 inches or so. What that means is that as I am going down the road, the top of the slide could move in and out when hitting bumps in the road, slamming back into the side of the camper every time.
With the slide locks in place, the slide doesn't budge whatsoever.

Now there may be other types of slide mechanisms that hold the slide tight against the camper wall, top and bottom, so they wouldn't need locking bars.
But my Flagstaff definitely does, and that is why it came with the locks. It is irresponsible for any dealer to suggest not to use them.
And they have orange warning tags hanging on a string, which you cannot miss when entering the camper, and I have never forgotten them.

So if your camper came with slide locks, use them.
If your camper did not come with them, you probably don't need them, or the dealer stole them!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
And they have orange warning tags hanging on a string, which you cannot miss when entering the camper, and I have never forgotten them.
Never say never.

Almost got mine in Gettysburg but I saw it in time. Back to the switch tag again, (I stopped using it since I was Mr. Wonderful who never forgets anything); sigh...
Old 07-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #12

We have owned two Puma 5th wheels neither one had the slide out sticks....... I had never heard of them until seeing them come up from time to time on the forum......................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Would love a pic.....I can't picture what that stick is!
Here is what those silly sticks look like:

Silly White Sticks - My Photo Gallery

Now, why do they always give you ONLY THREE and not FOUR? I would think you would need two on each slide, especially the LOOOONNNNNNGGGGG slide.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #14

Though neither of my slides came with locking bars, I do have two different types of slide mechanisms.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Both of our Flagstaffs came with adjustable ones but were never used. Neither of the slides would budge regardless of how hard TOWTA and I shoved on them when they were in travel position. They both must not have been the norm. They only go against the trim which is stapled on and wouldn't stop much if they had too. JMHO.

Bottom line, if you got them and want to use them, by all means use them, if not then find another use for them.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
Carknocker Family

My new TT didnt come with them either. Asked the dealer about them and all he did is smile and say that they bring him alot of business from errors just like yours.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post

Now, why do they always give you ONLY THREE and not FOUR? I would think you would need two on each slide, especially the LOOOONNNNNNGGGGG slide.
Hmm, looking at your pictures these look like something that should be pretty easy to make if you wanted a fourth one. I'm thinking broom stick, dowel or piece of PVC with rubber caps on the ends?

Maybe I'm over simplifying :-)
Old 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Both of our Flagstaffs came with adjustable ones but were never used. Neither of the slides would budge regardless of how hard TOWTA and I shoved on them when they were in travel position. .

Push at the top of the slide, not the bottom.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post

They probably gave you two for the long slide and figured one is enough for the shorter slide? I always use mine and they do have orange tags hanging on them for a reminder.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Push at the top of the slide, not the bottom.
X2 - I always use mine as I have the same mechanism that Bakken has.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Slide Braces 005.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	34933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Shots and others 025.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	34934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Slide Braces 001.jpg
Views:	169