Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Flush Floor Slide

When the a flush floor slide is extended, is it normal for their to be a slight rise where the slide floor stops? It is covered by carpet, but where the slide floor begins, there is a a 1/2" rise.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #2

Normal.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

I have the same rise on my 2012 V-Cross 275 fiver. I just thought it was normal?
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #4

Totally normal.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Always Learning

Hmm. Ours is pretty well perfectly flush when the slide is fully out. When it's in, there's a step up and the floor isn't supported- but that's what I would expect.

Y'all say this is normal? Wouldn't that make it an "almost flush floor" then?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. The rise is pretty well hidden by the carpet, but you can see it and when you step on it, you notice it.

I also noticed that there is a space between the slide trim and the wall when in the extended position. It is sealed. Guess I am just used to my old slide that seemed more flush and tighter to the wall.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Of all the campers we've been in with slides, we've never seen a slide that is flush with the floor. There might be a slide mechanism that raises the slide before retracting, but I haven't seen one.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Of all the campers we've been in with slides, we've never seen a slide that is flush with the floor. There might be a slide mechanism that raises the slide before retracting, but I haven't seen one.
I'm fairly certain that's what mine does. It kind of slides down into place and back up.

I'm going to run out and pull the carpet up to see how flush it really is. But, I'm fairly positive that I don't have any kind of lip in our living room where the love seat and dinette are. The slide is out entirely right now while we get ready for the next trip.

I'll take a picture and post it..
Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Always Learning

Maybe the OP's slide is normal, but the main slide on my camper really does slide down and is flush with the main floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1632155463.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	34185   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-254911451.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	34186  
Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

I think ours is the same, it's just the double carpet makes a hump. I'd go check to make sure, but we're having a real 'frog strangler' rain right now and for the last hour.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSledge View Post
I also noticed that there is a space between the slide trim and the wall when in the extended position. It is sealed. Guess I am just used to my old slide that seemed more flush and tighter to the wall.
This might suggest that the slide is not going all the way out, and therefore dropping down to become level.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
GSW

It is not normal. I have had other units and they have had no hump. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
GSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to B and B
My 5er has the same carpet bump OC mentioned as well. It is pretty flush i would say.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW View Post
It is not normal. I have had other units and they have had no hump. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I believe for his unit that it is 'normal' .....

I have seen some dialog about 'supported' slide out floors and 'unsupported' slide out floors when the slide out is 'in'.....
In looking at ependydads picture, it would seem that his is 'unsupported' when it is 'in' (imo). My slide out has the 'hump' when 'out' and the 'hump' when 'in' and it seems to be fully 'supported' when 'in'. No movement at all when I walk on either slide out when 'in'.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
In looking at ependydads picture, it would seem that his is 'unsupported' when it is 'in' (imo). My slide out has the 'hump' when 'out' and the 'hump' when 'in' and it seems to be fully 'supported' when 'in'. No movement at all when I walk on either slide out when 'in'.
There's no opinion about it. You're 100% correct. My slide is not supported when it's in. I've got a post or two here with a factory rep saying that it should not be walked on when the slide is retracted.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
There's no opinion about it. You're 100% correct. My slide is not supported when it's in. I've got a post or two here with a factory rep saying that it should not be walked on when the slide is retracted.
Surprised that rep told you not to walk on it when retracted. Its the same support steel and wood base in both positions. The only difference is the square tubing on the slide is no longer in full contact with the c-channel support, it will rock on its edge, so what? still plenty strong. The frame kicks up to allow it to rise above the main floor for storage.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

Surprised that rep told you not to walk on it when retracted. Its the same support steel and wood base in both positions. The only difference is the square tubing on the slide is no longer in full contact with the c-channel support, it will rock on its edge, so what? still plenty strong. The frame kicks up to allow it to rise above the main floor for storage.
It's the plywood of the slide floor that isn't supported when it's in. This is only my understanding- but when the slide is fully extended in the "out" position, the inner edge of the plywood is supported beside of the floor that it slides down next to (not sure what's supporting it, but it definitely comes down to rest on something). It's firm. Solid.

Now, when the slide is fully retracted, that same inner edge is pushed inside the camper and it lifts as it comes in. When you get on the floor level, that plywood is a good inch above/off/not touching the floor below it. If you do step on it, there is give. Imagine you had a piece of 4x8 plywood on saw horses and you push down on the middle- it'll bow.

That's my slide floor.