Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

Front slide issue - really stumped

So I "had" a 2013 Sanibel 3600. I say had because I just sold it to an rv newbie.... May be regretting it as I've been inundated with "how do I do this?" calls. The rv is solid, and has been a reliable on the road home for me for years, so I'm happy to help, but this current one has me stumped.

Prior to having the rv hauled 500 miles to his home, the rig was hooked to 50 amp shore power. Everything functioned as designed.

Flash forward a day and he now possesses the rv. It's not hooked to any power source. He opens the flanking hydraulic rear slides with no problem. The front electric bedroom slide will not open - motor makes no sound. He also states the lights don't work, and I assume as well as the other typical 12v functions- furnace fan, refrigerator in propane mode, etc . My first inclination is a dead battery, but he had the battery tested and it is good. My second inclination was I may have mistakenly switched "on" the battery disconnect prior to closing down the rig for transport. What vexed me about both those ideas is how did he get juice to open the hydraulic slides if either the battery was dead or the disconnect was switched on(battery disconnected)? Electricity is not my strength- would the converter have enough stored power to open the slide? Is there an online fuse that could be blown? If so, once again how did the rear slides open?

This something that I could likely easily troubleshoot in person - over the phone with a gentleman who lacks any rv experience and doesn't use email or "the computer" it is very difficult.

Any help I can pass along to him would be greatly appreciated.
joien126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Site Team

It could be the disconnect switch or it could be a resetable breaker that's connected between the battery and power panel. The reason the hydraulic system worked is that the pump is such a high draw device that it's usually connected to it's own fuse or breaker directly to the battery.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Thank you. I haven't heard from him since advising to first check the disconnect, so I'm assuming he figured it out. With a good battery, but no lights, lp fridge, or furnace fan - and especially the lack of the c02 sensor beeping for low voltage, I was becoming more sure the battery was simply disconnected. I just couldn't figure how he managed to get two massive 13 foot slides out first. Your explanation makes perfect sense.
joien126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

x2 on Bama Rambler post. The slides are direct fed from the battery and do not go thru the disconnect switch. However it sounds like maybe your front one does on your ex RV.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide