Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #1

Gaps in slide out seals

Just bought a 2006 Lexingrton 283 GTS and for the first time we have slideouts. I have real concerns about the gaps and lack of insulation in the seals around the slideouts. They are large enough that any critter smaller than a monkey could get through! Also, outside air has a free flow into several locations. My question is how do you improve such a situation. I am thinking hard foam pieces could be fitted from the inside, or maybe start from scratch with a better seal than the simple rubber gaskets that are now in place. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
TCMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #2

What you don't always see is what you get.

I have a (Forrest River) 2010 Class C Coachman Freelander Dreamer 30QB with one slide-out. The engineer/s that designed this slide must have had received their degree from "Save a Buck Tech." The underside of the slide is so constructed (When slide is out) that air, dust, wasps, spiders, bees, mice and maybe a small monkey can pass into the inside without obstruction. When at the dealer for warrantee work I was told by the head of the repair department that the issue was un-resolvable and that I had purchased a unit that was defective from the beginning-when it came off the line...OUCH! Trying to work a retrofit with Forrest River Support garnered the same results, “Sorry, you’re stuck with what you have.” How any company is allowed, and willing, to produce and sell to the public such inferior work is still beyond me.

The best I could do myself was to install a wind-stop on the inside, using carpet as a type of buffer. It’s not perfect and the wind and bugs still find their way inside, especially when the slide is facing in the direction the wind is coming from. On cold, windy mornings, make sure your propane take is full, you’ll be cranking up the furnace and your feet will still be freezing.

Good luck, and if you find a retrofit, PLEASE let me know.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

Caution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMarshall View Post
Just bought a 2006 Lexingrton 283 GTS and for the first time we have slideouts. I have real concerns about the gaps and lack of insulation in the seals around the slideouts. They are large enough that any critter smaller than a monkey could get through! Also, outside air has a free flow into several locations. My question is how do you improve such a situation. I am thinking hard foam pieces could be fitted from the inside, or maybe start from scratch with a better seal than the simple rubber gaskets that are now in place. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
You should check your slide out motor mount bolts to insure they are not loose. And, make sure the bolts on your adjustable couplers are tight. Bad me neglected to have stabilizer in place while moving and the slide came out while turning a corner. Loose motor and broken shear bolt/pins on adjustable couplers.

Go here if you'd like a copy of your slide out schematic.

http://www.chadsprojects.com/Above%2...0Slide-Web.pdf
Old 10-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

I know its been a while but, I have same problem. Is there any good solution yet?
sbwtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwtb View Post
I know its been a while but, I have same problem. Is there any good solution yet?

If you are speaking to air and insect infiltration I would suggest an outside, snap-secured, shroud.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #6

Thanks Kind of a pita just because of poor engineering, previous owner should of address issue right away .
sbwtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #7

A bad adjustment can cause open one side and pinch the other side.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #8

I have very poor seals on the bottom of the slides on my 2013 Coachman Mirada. I found that pool noodles make good seals. You can even cut them to fit around the slide racks if you have them.